Prince Charming | Teen Ink

Prince Charming

March 7, 2019
By greys-anna BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
greys-anna BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Things are falling apart before you even realize that they are."


Like a princess waiting for Prince charming to save her from her miserable prison or save her from the beast, you wait for him to love you.

No matter how much it hurts, you sit and you wait every day because you have that shred of hope maybe he'll love me.

Like a princess weeping in wait of her Prince charming, you look up at your ceiling and wonder why am I not good enough for him?

You start to second guess yourself, every choice you make and everything about yourself because you hope that if you can pretend enough maybe he'll notice you as more than just the loser who laughs at all his jokes.

Piece by piece, every choice you make takes you farther away from who you really are.

You have burned away so many pieces of who you were and welded on new ones where they would fit, you are not the same person.

You look in the mirror every day when you wake up, you gently apply just enough makeup so you look like you put in the effort but not so much that people call you names and torment you and all your left with is an empty jar.

You are not that happy, cheerful, girl anymore. Now looking at yourself, you cannot even recognize yourself. You finally start to realize what is wrong with what's happening when finally he texts you and compliments you on all the changes you have made.

You smile and you think, even princesses have to give a little to be with their Prince charming. You start to rationalize every choice you made and you convince yourself that it's all okay, but it's not okay. It's not okay for people to steal you from yourself.

Cinderella didn't have to change for Prince charming, she showed him who she really was and he loved her more for it. Snow White, the dwarfs knew her for who she really was, not a facade she put on with the hope they would pay her the slightest attention. You don't think about any of this, all you care about is that he's finally realized you, he's finally seeing you as more than just his childhood friend.

Every last one of your dreams is crushed when he asks you on the second message, can you please do my homework so I can play in Friday's game? And yet again he steals another piece of you.

You say you will, but inside you're crumbling. You cave in and wish for just one second that he would look at you like more than the nerd he grew up next door to. Taking an elegant swan dive from your 3rd story window, you can finally breathe and you finally understand what it feels like to be free, but the great stories all have to come to an end at some point my darling, and it seems this is the end to your story.

We cannot all have the happily ever after ending of a princess being swooped off her feet and riding into the sunset with Prince charming.