The Adventure to Myself | Teen Ink

The Adventure to Myself

February 13, 2019
By AHSGG20 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
AHSGG20 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Work until your Idols become your rivals."



I'm from “You are just as strong as any boy” “a little dirt never killed nobody”. From the dirt, mud, and gravel that dressed the ground at the barn. Working the early mornings while friends slept, and the saddle sores that populated my knees, that allowed to be the horsewoman I am today.


I'm from the old school with a woman named Darla who called me 500, Hoping I would work for a Forbes 500 company. From the used cars that told a story the second you stepped foot in them. From the nights that my mom came home painfully late from a demanding job. Her eyes soft, already counting sheep as she tucked my sister and I into bed.


I’m from the adventures that lead to broken bones, I’m from the “If you really want it, then you will work hard for it”. I’m from the “speak up for what you believe in” and “If you're not going to do anything about it, don't complain”.


I’m from the truck drives to Kentucky that began at 4am and stretched until 12pm, listening to “Take me home, country roads”, “ring of fire” and “American pie”, while everyone sang until their voices crackled. From the drives where it was painfully loud with the booming silence caused by boisterous thoughts.


I’m from the nights sitting around the fire telling stories that made everyone ache with laughter, from the midnight, barefoot, gravel adventures that was guaranteed to leave someone behind with a tear wallowing in their eye.   

I'm from the finger pricks, insulin shots, and plunging insertions with sharp needles  that never failed to make tears rush. From the days of school I missed because of my blood sugar. From the countless appointments at Children's Hospital, From diaversary after diaversary.