Favorite Shoes | Teen Ink

Favorite Shoes

December 24, 2018
By devils_advocate PLATINUM, Spring, Texas
devils_advocate PLATINUM, Spring, Texas
48 articles 3 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.
-Haruki Murakami


Once, you were someone’s favorite shoes. They wore you everywhere; out to lunch, to the movies, in front of strangers. They walked with you all over town, at parks, in the car. Then one day, you found yourself in a dark closet, and you wondered what they were wearing, if not for you, as you got pushed further and further to the back of their shoe collection.
There came a day when you became their last resort. When they were in a hurry they’d shove you on and walk you out the door with much less love. You’d reminisce about being their favorite, and you’d try to hold yourself together for the fear of this being your last day with them.
But that day did come, and you were thrown out; no remorse, no regrets.
Sometimes, in life, you will be someone’s favorite shoes. You will be loved and cared for, but then you will not. You will be thrown out for someone who can do your job the way they like it.
But when that day comes, know that there are used shoe stores where someone who truly loves you will find you by chance, and they will wear you always like you’re made of gold.