The Same | Teen Ink

The Same

By hannahleisure BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
hannahleisure BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

It’s not the same

To be walking alone to your car

To be using a public restroom

To be working for an income

To be turning away from your drink

To be showing a little more skin

To be rejecting strangers asking for phone numbers

When you’re not a man.

It’s not the same

To be behind the wheel on a Friday night

To be running on a paved sidewalk

To be reaching for your wallet

To be covering your ears with your hood when it’s cold

To be walking through a parking lot

When you’re not white.

It’s not the same

To be applying for a job

To be going on a road trip

To be electing a political candidate

To be seeking medical attention

To be receiving an education

When you’re not a natural citizen.

It’s not the same

To be holding hands

To be introducing them to the family

To be sitting in church pews

To be finding wedding venues

To be reciting vows

To be parenting a child

To be making small talk with the barista

When you’re not straight.

It’s not the same.

These statements,

Meant to be found

Abhorrent

And

Shocking,

Will be misconstrued

Will be vilified

Because it’s not the same

To be speaking

When you’re not quiet.

This piece emerged as a product of the current political climate. Regardless of one’s ideological position, the nation is irrefutably divided by a numerous injustices occurring daily. These are mitigated not only by the media but the governing offices as well. With this poem, I aimed to ignite contemplation and discussion. I hoped to illustrate the scale of social controversies by delineating them as simple but broad lines that speak to the “bigger picture”. The groups that I mention in the composition (women, people of color, immigrants, and homosexuals) are examples of demographics that are systematically oppressed. Many majorities do not recognize their own privilege, and are therefore oblivious to the inequalities that linger in modern society.

I titled the poem “The Same” to emphasize the common misconception that discrepancies among social divisions have dissolved. “The Same” initially appears to be an ordinary phrase until it is placed within the poem. As the reader progresses through the poem, the title represents irony and ignorance.

I am incredibly passionate and unwavering in my convictions. As a child of faith, full of American pride, I advocate for the equal treatment of and opportunity for the nation’s people as a whole. I am also a person of color, as I am half Filipino. My father was an immigrant from the Philippines at age fifteen. I am a homosexual woman. These pains that the nation is plagued with are pains of my own. I was inspired to write this piece as an admonition- to captivate those who have yet to grasp an understanding of the mistreatment themselves which they have so fortunately not fallen victim to. I was inspired to depict the seemingly rudimentary freedoms that not all Americans enjoy. I was inspired to inspire the desire for education and for action.