The night that never happened | Teen Ink

The night that never happened

November 15, 2018
By KennedyRommelfanger SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
KennedyRommelfanger SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
8 articles 1 photo 0 comments

You’re back in town for the weekend.

As soon as I find this out my heart starts racing, pounding louder than a stampede of elephants on a jungle floor.

I pick up my phone and send you a text. “Can I see you?”.

As I sit on my bed waiting for a response I start to wonder if you will even reply.

Silence.

What if you don’t want to see me? What if you don’t care that I exist anymore? What if I don’t matter to you the way I used to?

But then, out of nowhere, it happens.

Next thing I know I am driving my rusty old year two thousand green chevy over to your house in the darkest hour of the night.

When I arrive, I tiptoe my way through the wet, dew soaked grass to the front door. Before I can even knock, you open the door. You whisper to me telling me to keep quiet and we slowly creep up to your room.

Unlike all the other times I had been over, your floor is clear. The bed is neatly made and boxes of your belongings are stacked along the wood paneled walls. We sit on your bed and talk.

I ask you how your time away has been and you ask me how my time has been here.

I wanted to ask you if you had talked to other girls. Is there any girl that has caught your eye? Have you found anyone like me while you have been gone?

But I didn’t ask.

When we had run out of words to say you put on a movie. You chose one of your favorites. One that you could recite the words to. One that you had made me watch before.

Minutes go by and the movie turns to a hum in the background. Laying on your bed, backs to the mattress and eyes to the ceiling above, close but not touching.

I could feel your heart pounding in your chest from inches away. I turn my head. you turn yours. Right then a moment of bliss was shared in the silence between our gazes.

Breaking the silence, you ask me if I missed you.

It was impossible to put the right words in a sentence to describe the way I felt when you were away,  so instead our lips collided.

Your lips were soft as silk and sweet to the taste.

You held me in your arms as you kissed me, wrapping me tight and showed no signs of letting go.

You pulled away and looked at me with your glossy, bright blue eyes. Breaking the silence between us once again, you tell me that you missed me.

I wrap my arms around you, squeeze my eyes shut, and hug you as tight as I possibly could wishing that I would never have to let you go.

But even though I was radiating with joy, I couldn't help but wonder why I felt so cold.

I open my eyes but you are no longer there.

I look around the room to realize that I am still laying in my bed, alone.

My phone is laying next to me with a text message. “Can I see you?”.

Unsent.