The Beehive: Where I'm From | Teen Ink

The Beehive: Where I'm From

October 17, 2018
By KatieBee723 SILVER, Gretna, La 70056, Louisiana
KatieBee723 SILVER, Gretna, La 70056, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am from the Eyour playroom tent, the Timberlane hiding spots, and Boudreaux’s buttpaste.

I am from the old green couches, an always open backdoor, and a dirty carpet, it sounded like the lyrics of our own songs.

I am from the tulips, peonies, and the growing weeds.


I’m from the celebration of love’s lost, sparkling smiles from Marc and Tracy and Carol.

I’m from the host of game nights and the overthinkers.

From the “You are My Sunshines” and that “The Sun Will Always Come Out Tomorrow.”

I am from the “Practice What you Preach” and the “Be Nice or Leave.”


I’m from the city that the care forgot, garlic, and Shake ‘n’ Bake pork chops.

From the loved guy that was taken too soon, a pitiful ice cream cup, and a dancing-in-the-kitchen mom.


In the front seat of the car, on top of the fireplace, or kept in the memories on our phones, there our heart will forever roam.

I am from sarcasm and sweet tea from a Mardi Gras loving hard working mom and a football watching heavenly heroic dad.


The author's comments:

For my English III Honors class, this was apart of our design cycle experience. We had to write a poem about ourselves and what our childhood was like while using symbolism.