He haunts me. | Teen Ink

He haunts me.

By ValEP BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
ValEP BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

"The ones who try to help are the ones who struggle the most"

His figure was tall ,slender ,boxy. He was a snake, slinking In and out of my head, stopping to poke my brain. He towers over me, a shadow, a ghost very few can see. He moves like oil, slick, slimy, flows like a liquid but thick, sludgy like goo, like mud. He haunts me. He once bested me, I suffered but I fought back. Sometimes he still bends over to whisper in my ear. He tells me “you want to eat, bite your tounge.” “fill up on water, you’ll feel better.”  I  hated  him  . he loved me. Well he loved what I could have been, if I listened. And I did, for a while. My friends told me he was bad news, and to stop talking to him, but what he promised me was too good to pass up. It wasn’t hard. I just needed to have self control. It made me feel light headed, it felt bad at first but I got used to it. “don’t do that!” “you pig!” “you are nothing!” “you are fat” “you are disgusting”  he would whisper to me, his tall frame bending down the middle , hovering inches above my shoulder. His words were poison but tasted sweet, a snake oil I drank by the gallon. I was starving. I was empty. Empty is good. But it hurt. Friends even began to bargain with me. “come on just one chip” they would taunt me “ I had a big breakfast” or “I just not hungry right now” I lied. I was so hungry, I just wanted to fit in they were all eating but I didn’t have to. I was fine. He looms over my shoulder, hovering inches above it, watching me, right now. “come on now, its not that bad.” He hisses into my ears, his words echoing in my head. He’s persuasive. For a second I listen, but I snap back. I think of how much I hated him, but he wouldn’t leave. He loved me. “you don’t have to do much.” his words pouring out of his mouth like sludge dripping out, slowly falling filing my head. Im drowning in his words. I want what he promises me. But at what cost.

bolded, italicized, and underlined words are read as thoughts while everything else is read as if talking to someone.