To the Moon: Grandpa's Poem | Teen Ink

To the Moon: Grandpa's Poem

August 5, 2016
By GraceEllen SILVER, Chatham, New Jersey
GraceEllen SILVER, Chatham, New Jersey
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My muscles are weak and my bones are dry,                               but I have one wish before I die.

My beautiful granddaughter, the littlest one,                                     take her to the moon to have some fun.

Learn and grow and soar and fly,                                                   take her to the moon before I die.

 

Take her to the moon for me, I want her eyes to see.                             All the stars and all the planets, and all that she can be.

 

Take her to the moon for me, I want her to understand.               There is a world out there much greater, than what is here on land.

 

My spaceship is nearly empty, but yours is plenty full,                    take her to the moon, before the stars are dull.

Take her to the moon for me, I don’t want her to cry.               Whenever she may miss me, she must look up at the sky.

Take her to the moon for me, float passed all the stars.                      My child, always remember, you can wave to me on Mars.

My beautiful granddaughter, the littlest one,                                     ride in your spaceship and have tons of fun.

Learn and grow and soar and fly, I'll always be with you,
right there in the sky.


The author's comments:

In memory of my Grandfather.