Little Black Girl | Teen Ink

Little Black Girl

December 3, 2015
By teenytinyella SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
teenytinyella SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A wise girl leaves, before she is left."


Little Black Girl you are... You are light. Your smile gives power to the sun, yes the sun, the biggest star there is. The one that rebelled against its cousins who light up the night just so it could direct its energy to us and help us see, help us pave the way.

 

Your energy, little black girl, can be felt from miles away. They stare at you when you walk into the room, embrace this awkward vibes they stare because they envy. Envy your bravery and your melanin.

 

They whisper as you glide through the room, they compare their questions, their jealousy.

 

Little Black Girl you are... You are not trophy not antique, you are legend. Tales counting back 300 years are engraved into you, have been sketched in your hands, entangled in your curls and kinks.

 

They confuse your determination with crazy but do not lean your ear to their mumbling for you were sent, created just for this, to show the strength that your great grandmother from long ago designed into your DNA, your bloodline, for that is why they continue to mumble because they dare not say it to your face.

 

Little Black Girl you are... You are probably confused. Confused as to why you've developed differently than your friends at school. Confused as to why you did all the hard work UK class but don't get the same recognition as the girl with the blonde hair and amber colored eyes.

Confused as to why your mother yelled at you about playing so rough with the boy who lives a few doors down. Don't understand why she tells you not to act like you're having fun when a man lays their hands on on you.

 

Tells you that them boys only know how to use and de story and because his daddy's daddy only showed him how to use his wife as a toy, he confused love with convenience and probably done taught his son the same thing.

Mama said to you, little girl, don't ever let no black man, let no white man, let no yellow man, no purple, pink or blue man half love you.

Said to you, don't you go looking for nobody to love if you can't love yourself. Love your dark chocolate skin, love your curls and hard to manage mane, love your curvy figure.

Little Black Girl, you were not made but created. You were Gods personal gift to this world. The last source of strength we may have left. Little black girl you Are. You caused to become of great things. You are the product and the beginning of nations.

Little Black Girl You Are... And always will be.