I had a picture

I had a picture.

I had
A picture of you.
You were making a funny face set with a filter on my camera that distorts the image, so it made me laugh every time I saw it.
Because you made me laugh every time I saw you.
I deleted it.
Because I needed space on my phone and I figured I could just as easily take another one.
Another day.
Maybe tomorrow or maybe next summer.
There's so much time, I said.
All we have is time, I said.
I don't need it, I said.
I clicked on the recycling bin.
Silly girl.
Oh silly, silly girl.
The first of December, I awoke to nails on a chalkboard. The sound that best describes my attempt to wrap my head around the concept that you had run out of time.
You had expired. Expired time from this life
So you left us
Forever.
The consistent beating of your heart that we relied on for the constant laughter and constant moments of glee and liveliness with you was attacked and overthrown.
Assassinated, as your spirit was abducted for another life.
How dare they?
How dare they take what is rightfully not theirs; how dare they deprive a family of their daddy and true love?
How dare they thieve the burning spirit of wit, charm, generosity and humour from these corpses that carry it to be shared with the world?
How dare they steal a man who served purpose?
His biggest purpose to love and care for a family he made; and for a family of friends he spent time away with.
How dare they take you from me.
How dare they withdraw the seconds we should have shared where I could have taken another picture.
A better picture.
One that made me laugh every time I looked at it
Because a string attached to it was a memory that I'll never want to forget.
But the picture
The one I deleted
Is a memory I may forget, all because I took life for granted.
I'm sorry
I clutch our memories with a firm grip; not letting a detail slip through my fingers,
The memory of the day I took the picture.

PixiePoetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
When reading this poem, I went from feeling happy to angry to sad.  Happy because of that pretty picture described.  Angry because another picture could never be taken.  Sad because I realized why.  Well done, you left tears in my eyes.  I can never seem to write an emotional poem, they all sound corny, but this was really heartfelt and vivid and pure.  Good job, I love reading all your work.

freepersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow - this is awesome!! Personal experience? 

Rebel21 replied...
Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:58 pm :
Yes, quite personal and my first experience in losing someone close to me. Thank you for your kind words motivating me to write :)

freepersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm :
I motivated someone? I feel accomplished....anyway ur welcome :)