There's A Story Behind Every Hard Heart

It’s the blackest heart that was burned the most,
It’s the hardened soul of a long-lost ghost.

The tortured cry of an old man came,
The wind carried sorrow and pain untamed.

I hated the sound of his labored breaths,
The regret that it invoked so close to death.

He was dead even before the last feeble beat,
Of his heart that was struggling to make ends meet.

Caught up in the evil he had brought to his home,
The shame and the pain through his house did roam.

Once young and bright, once hopeful and glad,
Now old and jaded, and painfully sad.

His life became ruin, his years became long,
He longed for the end that would cover the wrong.

It’s the blackest heart that was burned the mot,

The end was a mercy, the end was a gift,
The end came like angels, from an abysmal rift.

After stumbling and aching, and crying in fear,
Any love in his heart just disappeared.

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Once again Jade, i'll tell ya. you are an amazing writer. you have captured the deep, dark, truthful, full-of-emotion, tone that i envy you for. if i could write like this, there wouldnt be enough paper in the world to hold the words needed to fufill my writing. keep up the absolutely stunning work:D

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:57 am :
you're a kind person :) you're feedback always means the world to me!

freepersonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
omg i love this poem. my parents should read it - then maybe they would be nicer

Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm :
LOL!! XD thanks for the feedback!

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm:
This was really good! Very Edgar Allan Poe. I like the deep dark tone and theme. :) Keep it up!

Anansesem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm:
Nice rhythm. My favorite line is "It's the blackest heart that was burned the most."

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:40 pm :
Thanks:) you ah a gem

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:56 am:
  Some of the words you use in this are just so perfect. I love the line in this that goes “It’s the hardened soul of a long-lost ghost.” Also, you are very good with your punctuation. It can often be so tricky to get right, but it comes across as very natural in your writing.

Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm :
Thanks, that means a lot:)

SaphiraBrightscales said...
Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm:
It's sad and yet true but very well written...

Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:35 pm :
Yeah, kind of depressing, I know...

SaphiraBrightscales replied...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm :
But beautiful in its own way.