The Holocaust | Teen Ink

The Holocaust

They have heard the word before: concentration camp,
When the children heard,they told them to take a nap.
They would cry and they would pray,hoping that this news will go away.
But when the "news" came to their home,
they realized that they weren't alone.
A cattle car full of people,
When they wished they could fly like eagles.
It has reached it's destination,
No more for imagination.
Haircut,tattooed,uniforms blue and white,
The people never again saw sunlight.
Barracks,dirt,death,all a hell,
Gas chambers and gun shots,all ringing bells.
No food,no water,
Nobody could live much longer,
they dreamed of heaven,
More then ever.
Their lives were gone with a smack,
And they planned to never look back.

I was taking a Creative Writing-Poetry class online last year during school, and my last project I had to do, was make a Ballad poem, which means it has to involve withe history. The Holocaust has always inspired me since I learned it in 6the grade, so it all just came off thee top of my head and I was done withe theis poem in about ten minutes. My English teacher looked it over to grade it and I got 100% on it. I showed my mom when I got home from school and she got tears in her eyes saying theat it was a wonderful poem. The next day, my English teacher told me to go into a poetry contest grades 10the-12the in U.S. and Canada. I had submitted it in August and it wasn't due until December. In February, I had received a email theat my poem had gotten published in thee book of poems. But I wish more people could read my poem and make it more popular. (:

Lefe1 GOLD said...
Lefe1 GOLD, Newport Beach, California

To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives
-Henry David Thoreau

I really enjoyed this poem. I really felt you captured the feelings we as readers should feel. It was honest, true, and emotional. I also wrote a peom on the holocaust and would love if you read it.