The Day I went to the Ballet This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I remember the day that I went to the ballet.

I stamped my foot, stuck out my lip and slouched to my Mothers utter consternation.

Now Jane come here, now what is this about?

My anger boiled so hot that I nearly did shout!

Mum I dont belong here with these Gents' and their Ladies

Dressed in their silks, hats covered with daisies.

With their fine airs and noses turned skyward.

Holding it like that must make it tired.

No thanks,thats not who I wish to be.

Besides Mother its just a Stupid Dance whats in it for me!

I want to go home and just be me.

To wear brothers trousers.

To play in the street!

Oh Mother don't make me, dont make me go what a laughing stock I will be.

Mother Looked skyward in contemplative thought then said "No, Jane your coming with me!"

We trudged through the street and borded the underground.

Soon arrived at the Opera House.

I was right there were ladies in silk and men in top hats just like I thought.

Then I saw another group They looked rather like we did plain cotton dresses the best we had neatly patched yet clean.

We Walked to our seats and it took quite a while to get to the 100th row.

We were crowded into some of the only remaining seats cramped next to our fellow midling and lower class fellows.

Then the Music Began and the curtain lifted the dancers came out and I admit they truly were gifted.

Never had I been to a place where emotions ran so strong, Nary was there a dry eye in the room including my own!

I was swept away by the beauty the artistry and the splendor.

The love and the joy

The sorrow and anger.

The characters became friends and enemies of mine and I hated some and loved others.

Then the Ballet Ended it was almost enough to make me weep so touching the story that I hadnt wanted to see!

My mother turned to me and said "Jane dear did you notice your lack of finery during the Ballet?

"No Mother"

"During the Ballet did you feel out of place."

"No Mother"

"Do you think that only rich people should experience the Ballet?"

"Ohh no Mother Everyone should come!"

"Why dont they?"

"Perhaps because they feel out of place?"

"You Mean like I did"

"Exactly"

Never limit yourself because we don't have money

Not having Money alone is enough to limit you!

Grace and a Ladies spirit are free to those who chose to adopt it and dont ever think you can't fit in you can fit in.

You can be every bit a lady as those fine ladies if you chose to.

And we left!

That was the Day I went to the Ballet.

It changed my life.

SarahXC said...
Great way of making a story into a poem. You don't usually see that. :)

KylieK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love how you told the story, while keeping a pleasant flow. Excellent! You painted vivid imagery and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

KylieK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Also, I must say, the breaks of dialogue were superb.

NatalieAnn said...
the image that you plant with your poem is amazing! :D

decievinghimesama said...
Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:47 am
I liked it... classical and artistic... you painted a beautiful picture of ballet ♥

Ballerinagirl1016 replied...
Thank You!

Alice-Love said...
i really liked this.

ShadowRealms said...
Beautful...this is meaningful and made me wonder if I should see a balle. It was exisite and I really don't have anything bad to say about it at all! Lovely and it deserved it's status of Editor's Choice.

Katsa08 said...
This is an excellent poem, well written and meaningful. I can feel that you put a lot of soul and work into this. Well done!

Shnitzal-face said...
Beautiful poem ballerinagirl...I love ballads myself. This was such a poem that makes me want to see them more often. Your poem agian was like no other. Keep writing.

Bookwizard said...
I love how it just flowed together. I think it could have flowed a little bit more at the end but I loved how you included a lesson.

Ballerinagirl1016 replied...

Oh thanks guys and tell everyone!

Yes as I said in my side note it is part poem part story!

so I wrote it in a way that I tried to blend story and poem this is my first time doing that!

I have other poems that I am waiting for approval that flow much better than this one but I always like to put positive messages into my work thats the kind of poetry our World needs!

Bookwizard replied...
Yes our poetry world does need that. I agree.

FluteFreak said...
This is a good poem and I love the voice behind it. Bu I do think that you could make it flow a little bit more in a few spots. Great job!

Tink1350 said...
I liked this;). I just think you could have made it flow a little more. But overall f Great poem. ;):).

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this poem---usually, I don't go for ballads, but I found myself drawn to the little girl in the piece. When I was that age, I just wanted to play outside till it got dark. But I like how the poem took a turn and how the last few lines were the most important. Don't let money dictate what you want in life~

Ballerinagirl1016 replied...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:56 am
Thanks allot, The goal of the story was for it to have some thing inspirational something more than just expressing my feelings!