I Want to Kill Myself This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I want to kill myself
In an unexpected way.
Murder all the badness
But let the nice things stay.

Assassinate the hate
That's buried in my heart.
Rid myself of evil
To let the goodness start.

I'll slaughter all the judgment
That's darkening my mind.
Massacre revulsion
That makes my spirit blind.

Slay all of the pride
That's commandeered my soul.
Open up my head
And let the love unroll.

I do not wish to die,
Please, don't get me wrong,
I'll just cast away the demons
To a Hell where they belong.

'Cause when burdened with the issue
Of whom I wish to be,
I want people to look back
With pleasant memories of me.

Charlize_MarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:35 pm:
I think that rhyming isn't very effective in poetry, however, your use of rhyming didn't bother me too much. I love how you make this heavy sounding topic feel so light to the reader's mind as it is read. This isn't about suicide, but about wanting to be happy and that isn't heard of too often.

theatregirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This really good. Not only is it good, it capture the feeling most teens have felt :the urge to not necessarily die, but to escape from the burden of life and the expectations and criticism of others. Many people, including me, can relate to your poem.Congrats on your publication and, as all ways keep writing !

Syberian9 said...
May 31, 2012 at 8:36 pm:
Wow....this is really good! The way you twisted the meaning of killing yourself......so creative!!!!!!!!

Nicole67 said...
May 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm:
That's deep. AMAZING!! Congrats on the publication. :)

Kenziemcm13 said...
May 31, 2012 at 1:29 am:
I like it! Its deep and very true! Lovee it!! You can really write I enjoyed it! Can you check out a free of mine? Perhaps? Tell me what you think of them I would be honored if you looked at some of my work! :)

Juicy said...
May 30, 2012 at 9:46 am:
Wow! Very well written, got me thinking about how this world would be if all of us would do this to ourselves! Phenominal! keep writing :)

Shnitzal-faceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Deffinetly a 5 out of 5. A poem that is read and not understood can probably be the sweetest poem there is. This one is a poem of beauty. I'll never find another to compare with this one...keep writing, a poet that is able to write like this about such a shadowed subject is very gifted.

SnowedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 11:11 am:
Not much more to add; loved the first stanza.

Ballerinagirl1016This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm :
Wow I love this Soo true instead of one of those morbid poems about contemplating suicide I got a breath of fresh air hahaha. Oh please do read my Poem " The day I iwent to the Ballet" Its in this section with editors choice as well! Its got a message like this one.... Thanks for the poem though!

NickyJ said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm:

Congratulations on the Editor's Choice! :D

Gotta say I really liked reading this and can completely relate to it. I think most people can. The Rhyme Scheme is well suited, and my only criticism is the beginning of the 5th stanza.

You shouldn't told the reader point blank you didn't want to literally die. That message should have been made clear through your imagery and figurative language. I understood that message before I read those lines, however I think it takes alot a... (more »)