One of Those People This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

She was one of those people who ate breakfast in bed,
Who woke up alone and
Never listened to what her parents said.
She was one of those people who bought window seats,
Who boarded the plane and closed the shutter,
Complaining of heat
She was one of those people who closed her eyes,
Who closed her eyes to the world
And mumbled her good-byes.
She was one of those people who put on her headphones,
Who refused to talk,
Who preferred to be alone.
She was one of those people who thought the world was beautiful,
Who believed it was good,
But never tried to live in it.

He was one of those people who lived life with ease,
Who never took a coat
And who loved the cool breeze.
He was one of those people who loved with his heart,
Who appreciated time together
After being apart.
He was one of those people who watched with his eyes,
Who listened to his heart
And who deemed it wise.
He was one of those people who opened his soul,
Who let into his life
The world as a whole.
He was one of those people who watched the world,
Who lived,
Who never let a second go by too soon.

Charlize_Marie said...
I love how you described two polar opposites. You focused on two contrasting characters in order to get your point across. With your writing I was able to see the distinction between the two. The content made me think a little about how different people can actually be. 

phlogistonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow this is just beautiful. Great job!

PoetryAngel14 said...
Beautiful. You definitely have talent. Great poem- 5 stars :) i'm the second type of person, by far. Can you read/rate/comment some of mine? Thanks so much!!

M. said...
This is awesome! It is really well written and I like how you start each verse with he/she was one of those people... Now I am going to read some of your other pieces.

C.A.WaltThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 8:54 am
I love how you introduce us to each character and make us see life through their eyes. By doing that, you make the reader come to the realization that they are one or the other, or a little bit of both. Generally, we would all like to believe we are the second, but in reality there are many of us who live life like the first. Outstanding job:) 5/5 read some of mine if you want

HannahMarianna1997 said...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:19 am
This is a really good poem!! I love it!! Great job :)

otherpoet said...
Great poem. The repetition was a nice touch. I loved the descriptions of two very different people, yet I believe there is a little of both in each of us. Excellent poem, very well written!

paigeturner9 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jason, this is amazing! 

jasont727 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aww, thank you!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

At first, I was inclined to say that people are not this black and white. But the more I thought about it (and the poem certainly encourages thought), the two personalities seemed to represent what one can be. Is that right, at all?

Anyway, I really really really liked the bits about window seats and about not taking a coat. I thought they illustrated really well the very different personalities you were creating.

I like to think I'm the second. That's what I strive to be... (more »)

Sept. 11, 2011 at 2:56 am

I hope that everyone strives to be the second. If we all did, then the world would really be a great place--wouldn't it be?

And I understand what you mean about how the two personalities can represent what one can be. It's nice to think that we all have different aspects of ourselves hidden inside of us, that only come out at certain times. 

Thank you so much for the comment :)

Schubster said...

I used to be the first, but now I'm sort of the second too?

Great poem :) keep up the awesome work.

Sept. 11, 2011 at 2:54 am

I always try to be the second, but it's hard sometimes.

And thank you very much!

WeAllBurn said...
Sept. 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

this is just fantastic <3

loved it!! 5/5 <3 your a great writerr (:

please check out any of mine, if you wish (:

Sept. 11, 2011 at 2:54 am
I did, and your work is beautiful as well! Thank you very much :)