Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dust and sand coat the skin and clothes of men
Who sacrifice their lives for people they
Will never know. Still, they don’t question when
Or why, they just try to live through each day.

The people they fight for don’t understand
The struggles that these men go through. Instead,
They hate all our soldiers who fight, and band
Together to protest a war that they dread.

An explosion is heard a few miles down
The road the soldiers drive on. They don’t stop;
They keep their eyes on the prize. Through the sound
That’s made, their fear grows: one might make them drop.

In war they are strong as they fight to save
The land of the free, the home of the brave.

KasieDee said...
Mar. 13 at 8:19 pm
This is obviously an old piece, but much respect to you for writing this. I needed to see this. So many people I know are against our soldiers. Against the ones who lie down their lives for them. And I am so glad to see the amount of respect you have towards them. Amazing ballad.

DoctorX99 said...

Do you know what i tell people when they say anything against our soldiers?

I tell them how it is.

"How does it feel to know that someones kid in the heart of America has blood on their hands, fighting to defend your rights so can maintain a life style that insults his very exhistence? Well where i am from we got a special salute for people like that.

Falling.Up. said...
amazing! i think that the war is meaningful but i know so many people who will protest that idea and its annoying! but great job!

rachel. said...

What a beautiful poem! There are websites that give you email addresses to soilders in Iraq and Afghanastan, you should seriously send this to them! They would love to know how much you support and love what they are doing for our beautiful country. 

God Bless!

kayllaax3 said...
I liked this poem because it was really touching and it felt like  you could really relate.

swagmasterflex said...
It was very touching about how they sacrafice there lives for people they dont even know.

Rebecca P. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This poem gave me chills. I just want to let you know, that I have a family member in Iraq now, and this poem really got to me. Thank you so much for writing this. Please check out my poem Shattered Lives in the Fast Lane and tell me what you think. It would be nice knowing what someone as good as you feels about it.

RadLeY said...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 9:04 am
I like it, it has a really good meaning to it.

Grania said...
I'm with you, Sophie. I love my country, but I think the war is pointless. The best way to support the troops is to bring them home to safety.

Sophie C said...
Sept. 4, 2008 at 3:14 am
i don't think the war should be going. whats the point? what freedom? huh. but its not like i'm saying i don't support them, i mean i know what they are going through. but i do not support the WAR

jada7890987 replied...
I really enjoyed this. It's pretty good. Good work. ;)