minutes | Teen Ink

minutes

By tbh.layne BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
tbh.layne BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

Mean people are barely people at all

minute one:

heart beats fast

minute two:

sniffles, nose begins to run

minute three:

she reaches for my hand 

minute four: 

i take hers

minute five:

the cold bites my fingertips 

minute six:

our eyes lock, i see worry

minute seven:

crowd grows restless

minute eight:

feet shuffle 

minute nine:

throat goes dry

minute ten:

we shouldn't have to live like this 

minute eleven: 

i wonder if it hurt

minute twelve:

i wonder if the families are okay

minute thirteen:

she lets go

minute fourteen:

his head drops

minute fifteen:

fingers go numb

minute sixteen:

tears prick my eyes

minute seventeen:

"It's 10:17, thank you for coming. You can go back to class."

minute eighteen:

a tidal wave of ink like tears wash over me, they can be washed away but they still stain.

This piece is about the walkout on March 14th at 10 for 17 minutes in honor of the victims of the recent Parkland shooting. This is a minute by minute play by play of my personal experience. This can be interpreted in many ways, I did this on purpose, I don't elaborate because we did not get an explanation of why the world is so scary now, why the shooters are doing this, why they want to cause pain. So I will not provide an answer. Except for the last line, I elaborate that I am hurt. And that my tears and this moment will stay with me forever. Another element that makes me love this piece is that as you can see I do not capatlize my i's in the piece. In kindergarten my teacher Mrs.Otonicar told us to capitalize our eyes when referring to ourselves to show we are important. Whenever I was feeling sad or unipreciated I wouldn't capitalize them. To show secretly that I'm not okay. It was my own little secret. It shows that I felt insignificant in that moment. A speck in a world of dots. Just one girl, who was sad.