Demon of Death

A shudder ran through the trees. The wind howled a peculiar howl
as the moon slinked above. A shadow crept through the streets,
extinguishing light from the world.

It swept through the grass, its dark, red eyes searching for a new prey,
Viciously had it devoured the first, ignoring screams of pain and agony.
The maker of ruin, it destroys lives of all, choosing
who shall survive, and who shall fall.

I knew it was my turn, all others having been struck. I waited uneasily
for what I was sure would come.
Yet better me than any other; I won't suffer of longing. I won't miss and cry,
wallowing in tears of disbelief.

No, it was better this way. Up the porch it came, the steps cracking
under its foot. Up the steps, that creature came, and moans from the bottom
I heard. Alas, thought I, for surely another had heard.

A door creaked open. And I saw the eyes, so deep and menacing that
I froze with fright. And as it came upon me, I recognized it for what it was;
I had looked into the eyes of the demon of death.

S.E.M This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is incredible! You have captured the essence of E.A.P perfectly. Had I been told this was one of Poe's own, I may have believed it! ("The maker of ruin, it destroys lives of all, choosing
who shall survive, and who shall fall." I especially enjoyed that line.)

EdytD replied...
Thanks! That really means a lot, especially b/c I admire Poe so much.

Mizz.Independent said...
this is good, keep up the good work

EdytD replied...
Thanks! I definitely will.

Ruthey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i don't like this nearly as much as your other ones.
i think you're sticking too much to an archaic style, with the rhyme and language, and you don't fill it out naturally.
i think i can't really hear your voice in this, i feel as though i can only hear you being restricted and trying to fit into someone else's mould.
basically, i think it's great that you've experimented with different styles, but this just isn't you.
let your real voice out!

EdytD replied...
I see what you mean - this is definitely different than my other poems. But I do think this is my style. I actually originally wrote this as prose, so that might be why it sounds different, but it is very similar to my prose style.
However, it is definitely different, and it is actually not my favorite, either.

mallory14 said...
Aug. 27, 2009 at 1:15 am
I love reading your poetry it is simply amazing!!!!! it really makes me think, and i really like it !!!

EdytD said...
Thank you so much for the comments; they mean so much to me! And Jofin J and Elana F, I'd love to take a look at your poetry, but for some reason, I can't click your names. If any of you guys don't have a username, just post a link to your work, and I'd love to check it out! Thanks!

Jennax3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 19, 2009 at 5:06 am
Such vivid descriptions make for a lovely poem, in my eyes. You've managed to do just that. Awesome work ;]

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! I love this one! I see how much you love Mr.Poe's work. It comes out in this piece. An eerie feeling I mean. Very good! I wish I could give you constructive criticism, haha, but unfortunately I can't. That's a good thing. :)

Elana F. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 2:22 am
yeah i also luv edgar allen po. this was rlly good btw. and also i also write bout death and stuff (i actualy have a poem similar to this but its pending still) chek out my poetry and u can see it!

jofin J. said...
Wow that was nice I gave you a 5 out of 5

Wolfayne said...
I agree. You have got to keep writing dude! I know a great writer when I see one. You are awesome!

Dude, it would be cool if you could look at my other poems and stories. Please do! See ya!

EdytD said...
thanks! i wrote this a while ago, so i don't think i'd be able to pull off adding to it - i'm not really sure what i would have written, and i just don't really know how to follow it. (Have you ever, for example, lost a piece of writing, and when you try to recreate it the piece just doesn't sound right?)

Thanks guys for all your comments. they mean so much to me! :D

brooke.is.gone. said...
May 19, 2009 at 12:32 am
wow. i love this. great imagery and it's twisted but in a nice way.

Mikal said...
May 15, 2009 at 6:56 am
Hey guys check out my new poem:A letter to love.

banana This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
so... here's that crazy banana! Yeah, this is really good! Very suspenseful... so suspenseful I wanted to read more! You should add to it!

BloodRose said...
May 13, 2009 at 12:42 am
this was incredably gripping!!! i wil read the rest of your work! We have alot in common as far as inspiration goes. Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite poets! By the way thanks for the comment on my work.

SagaLiSela This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 11, 2009 at 12:05 am
WOW!

You have perfected imagery with this poem and it's so suspencesful! This is truly amazing.

Also thanks for all the comments on my photos!

KICK3593 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 30, 2009 at 2:42 am
Disturbing and triumphant in its own tragic independence. You twist the arms of many with this winding twister of fate.