In Honor we Stand | Teen Ink

In Honor we Stand

October 5, 2017
By Anonymous

I arrived off the school bus and rushed to class, disoriented from my morning. I sat there trying to get organized. I remarked at something I hadn’t before, the 30 kids in my classroom stand as they perform an action so deeply ingrained into them that they don’t even have to use their brain to say the words.


Allegiance to the flag. Staying faithful to your country. An Army veteran Orville Miles said he can see faces of his war buddies when he looks at the flag. The stars and stripes is a simple object sacred solely to our country. These four words mean to me to be faithful through thick and thin.


One nation, indivisible. Growing up I thrilled the day we drove up to my great uncle Rhiney’s cabin. Once when we were cleaning the house, I found a treasure from my great uncle's war years: a Purple Heart. My father explained to me that my uncle had been a war hero in World War 2. Even though the war had taken his friends and  family, still he loved the country and people he sacrificed for. These three words mean helping others when there is no personal gain.


Liberty and justice for all. Everyday people go outside and play a sport or read a book on your favorite bench, it is because of these rights that people can and are not afraid to do this.. To me these five words mean to obey laws and the freedom to make choices for yourself.


“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all”. It is one of the most patriotic things to have 50 million students in the US stand up and say the same words every morning. These patriotic words mean being faithful through thick and thin,  helping others when there is no personal gain, obeying laws and appreciating our freedom.


The author's comments:

This piece is about what patriotism means to me.