Freedom isn't free | Teen Ink

Freedom isn't free

By Smiley_Girl456 SILVER, Waukesha , Wisconsin
Smiley_Girl456 SILVER, Waukesha , Wisconsin

As the men formed into a straight line and the trumpets played, I thought about what my grandpa went through while he served during WW11. He didn’t talk about it much, though everyone wanted to know.

I think about the men and women who served our country. It’s about remembering what we have doesn’t come easy and there is a price someone has to pay. Patriotism can be shown in many ways; one way is standing for the National Anthem. People show respect for America by standing and rendering the military salute if you're a veteran or active military, or by placing your right hand across your heart. It simply shows to others that you're proud to be an American citizen as you're showing respect for the flag and the meaning behind it.

It's the reason we're sitting here in classrooms, at work and in our homes safe and protected. Serving in the military is the most patriotic thing one can do, serving and accomplishing something greater than one's self. Day to day people can show patriotism simply by pledging allegiance to the flag before the start of school, and by helping Veterans when donations are asked for.

“You never think about freedom, until you’ve lost it,” my grandpa said. Many generations in my family have served and shown me that freedom is something that never should be taken for granted and for their service I know to be grateful for what they have done. Freedom isn’t a given, it has to be earned. When I think about what patriotism means to me, I think about respect for the American flag and the ones who fought to keep it up.