Am I Pretty Yet?

6 years old.

flower bows, silk ribbon,

flowing through my hair.

pigtails,crooked smile;

Mirror am I pretty yet?

10 years old.

High slicked-back ponytail and bobby pins,

to tame my messy hair,

wry smile, chubby thighs;

Mirror am I pretty yet?

14 years old.

Straight, glossy, hair and matte lipstick,

mascara streaking down the sides of my rounded cheeks,

broken smile, trembling body;

Mirror am I pretty yet?

16 years old.

Dry, cracking lips and a disheveled messy bun,

Amber stained wrists and sobbing eyes,

Bony fragile limbs and a fake smile;

Mirror am I pretty yet?

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 4 at 8:39 pm
Giiiiirl. Way to bring on the tears. Such a seemingly simple poem but it's full of SO much meaning. I wrote something along the lines of this poem and I know it's difficult to write. But way to go, you rocked it.

BrunetteInsightsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 20 at 5:37 pm
Awe, thankyou very much @TaylorWintry, that means a lot!

VictoriaStasivThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 4 at 6:17 pm
Very interesting and nice poem! I really like it!

Jun. 20 at 5:39 pm
Thankyou @VictoriaStasiv, I feel great and honored to have my work recognized in such a way. :)

DuckLoverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 4 at 1:43 pm
Wow. This poem is incredible. It captures so much of someone's life, only through their musings to a mirror. It's really deep. Good job, this is fantastic!

Jun. 20 at 5:41 pm
Thankyou so much @DuckLover! Comments like these are what inspire me to keep writing, knowing my work can resonate with people and be appreciated makes it all worth it.

DuckLoverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 20 at 9:41 pm
I was DEFINITELY appreciative of this poem. I love knowing that there are other people like me, who find writing more than a dreaded class at school!

Jun. 20 at 9:41 pm