Barely Lit | Teen Ink

Barely Lit

By OrangeNoom BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
OrangeNoom BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

A

Girl

Looks

At herself

She

Thinks about what

Has happened to her

Her bright smile gone

Her cheerfulness gone

Her bright person gone

She once was as bright

As the sun but now she

Is like a candle BARELY LIT

While creating my poem I kept think this poem kind of represents me in a way. I say this because I use to be a nice and wonderful, kind, and nice kid. Now I feel like I'm a dark person who really doesn’t care about anything. In the poem it says everything that has happened to the girl is bad but she puts on a mask and acts like everything is ok. This is why I believe this poem can relate to me as a person.

The reasons for me using the poetic devices I used were because I thought they fir with the poem. I used the similes because when a think of a happy or nice person it reminds me of the sun. I say the sun because the sun is bright. In this way a person who is always shining brightly can make you feel better. The candle is a good choice in my opinion because when a candle just gets lit it can lighten up a room, but when it starts dying out its shine dies along with it. This can be a metaphor for a person because when a person is born they're happy but as time goes on their happiness can get shorter every day, moth, or even a year. The repetition of words was because I think it had a nice ring to it and it makes easier to read to words.