Cyberbullying | Teen Ink

Cyberbullying

By Grant_M SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Grant_M SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

My life so far has been great, nothing to worry about, nobody picking on me, good grades, I always was a happy kid when I was younger and I still am today but there are a bunch of other kids like me who have a complete opposite life than mine. They might not have had the best parents, the best house, or even the best family, but the reason why some of those kids didn't have the best life is because they were bullied and cyber bullied, now being a bully is not good at all but being a cyberbully is just taking it to a whole new level. Around 4,500 kids each year in the U.S commit suicide from cyber bullying and around 3 million kids are absent from school each year due to bullying in general, and that is what I am going to be talking about today, what is cyberbullying, why cyber bullying is hurtful, and what should you do if it happens to you. I would like to see people try to put an end to cyberbullying before people end their lives.

What is cyberbullying? It is when someone uses technology to send mean, threatening, or embarrassing messages to you or about another person.There are different ways people can cyberbully others for examples, messaging, online gaming, phone, computers and all of the social media like snapchat, facebook, instagram, twitter, it is all over the in the tech world. Cyberbullying is another way of bullying in person but it's behind a screen so the people are most likely cowards, they don't want to do it face to face because they might think they would get in trouble or caught doing it but if they do it behind a screen they think that they can't get caught and that's why we need to put an end to it.These are some of the ways you can get cyberbullied but is cyberbullying really hurtful?

Cyber Bullying is hurtful, around 4,500 kids commit suicide because of cyberbullying says Cyber Bully Hotline How you can prevent it from happening. Never share your passwords,  private photos, and or your personal data, for instance your address or phone number. Think before you post a picture to social media, if you're sad or upset wait to post it. If you post a comment to someone think about how you would feel if they said the exact same thing to you, and that brings me to what if it happens to you?

If it happens to you, tell your parents or a trusted adult. Every single email, post, snapchat, or  message could be hurtful so you should somehow save those. It would be proof that whoever did it would be contacted or talked to. You can also talk to an adult, teacher or guardian at your school. Don’t be afraid to talk to somebody, if you don't talk to anybody it could turn worse like turning to harming yourself like cutting yourself or turning to suicide so get help!

Today I talked about, what is cyberbullying, why cyber bullying is hurtful and if it happens to you so, I hope this changes your point of view on cyberbullying and I hope that you try and stop it. If you have really great lives there are a lot of people out there who don't have a life near good so if you see somebody down ask them if they need help because they could be on the verge of harming themselves, whether it's asking them if they need help or talking to their parents or even just having a good conversation with them, there are a lot of ways that you can prevent somebody of harming themselves or getting bullied.

My name is Grant  and I am from Cannon Falls and in this peice that I wrote I juts want the world to have a different view of cyberbullying after they read my opinon essay.