If I Could Tell My Brother | Teen Ink

If I Could Tell My Brother

By RudedogsPrincess GOLD, Yukon, Oklahoma
RudedogsPrincess GOLD, Yukon, Oklahoma

"Become the legend you were born to be."

If I could tell my brother how much I really cared, he would brush it off as if he didn't care. I want him to know that I will always be there even if it seems like the world has turned it's back.

I want to tell him there is no need to always be so tough, I will always be there if the road gets too rough. Not every girl you're gonna meet will be the best for you but eventually, you'll find the one that was meant for you. 

Yes, I am your sister, yes I am a girl, but that doesn't mean I am afraid to fight for you. School might get harder as you get older, but that doesn't mean you have to do it alone.

This world is like an ocean, and we are all fish trying to find a current to folllow, but don't let that distract you from being yourself and enjoying the rest of the world; and when it seems like the sun isn't bright and the stars have given up I will be the light until you can find the sun again.

When you get your teenage attitude and think nobody understands you I'll understand. I've been down these roads before and I'll be your map. I may be older but that doesn't mean I am always right, but I will try my best. I know you try to be tough and strong.

You can use your voice when things get hard, but there will always be someone stronger and louder. Don't let them stop you from talking. Keep going and get louder because you're the only one who can speak for yourself.

And if anyone dares tell you that you are weak or a nobody then tell them to meet your sister out back.

This is a spoken word poem I made for my little brother telling him everything I wish for him to understand, I was inspired by Sarah Kay's "If I should have a daughter." poem.