Mexico (Parody of Carl Sandburg's Chicago) | Teen Ink

Mexico (Parody of Carl Sandburg's Chicago) MAG

By stephmarin13 BRONZE, Fullerton, California
stephmarin13 BRONZE, Fullerton, California

South of the border,
Hard workers, loving mothers
Seekers of happiness and opportunity
Soulful, warriors, tough
Country of the sleepless laborers
They tell me you are falling apart and your roofs are losing their sturdiness and I agree, for I have seen the dust falling on the floor from where my mother once dreamt
And they tell me you are dangerous and I answer: yes, it is true I have walked down the hazardous dirt roads and felt the unease of the unforeseeable night
And they tell me you are neglectful and my reply is: On the faces of the helpless I have seen the praying hands for a brighter future
And having answered so I turn once more to those who look down at my country, and I look down back and say to them:
Come and show me another country with a care so grand for one another that they endure the pain of their aching hands and feet all for the sake of providing a suffer-free night
Embracing those who sacrifice their life for their own blood and companions
Here is a heart so immense towering over selfish neighbors
Enthusiastic as a bird flying towards its shining destination
Struggling,
Falling,
Crashing,
Overcoming,
Standing,
Fighting, collapsing, fighting again
Rising from the obstacles of the foggy battle
Rising from the evil words of the ignorant
Rising and carrying themselves through the rubble, and through the treacherous streets,
Rising!
Rising with the people who face the same atrocities
Proud to be south of the border, hard workers, loving mothers, finders of happiness and opportunity, beautiful sleepless laborers

Inspired by Carl Sandburg's "Chicago". I hope this gives people a different perspective on the country and people of Mexico, a land of amazing people.