We Did It | Teen Ink

We Did It

November 7, 2016
By ratattoni_ BRONZE, Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
ratattoni_ BRONZE, Albrightsville, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Stay you, stay beautiful."


“There it is! There it is!” Ella cheered, raising her nimble finger in the air. Sean twisted his head up toward the sky, immediately spotting the enormous tower they had been searching for all day, the Eiffel Tower. Lights enveloped the populated tower, illuminating the streets that surrounded it, and if you looked straight up, it was as if the tip of the tower were touching the sky above.

“Wow…” Ella gasped, snatching Sean’s arm and rushing him toward the tower. Sean looked down at her as they walked; Ella’s eyes were wide and childlike, as if she was a toddler standing in the middle of a candy shop. Her mouth was open only slightly, and the distinct shock in her face caused a smile to lace Sean’s lips.

“Can we climb it?” Ella whispered, laying her head down on Sean’s shoulder and appreciating the view.

“What kind of question is that?!” Sean asked sarcastically, walking her to the east elevator of the Eiffel Tower, suddenly stopping behind a few other couples waiting in line for the ride up.

Ella squealed, jumping up and down like a five year-old waiting in line for ice cream. A jovial laugh escaped Sean’s mouth as he reached for his wallet and took out thirty-seven dollars for him and Ella. A grueling fifteen minutes later, and Ella and Sean finally appeared in front of the elevator. Ella was already skipping toward the lift when Sean handed the man the money, and soon after, they were being lifted to the second floor of the Eiffel Tower.

“I can’t believe this is actually happening right now!” Ella squealed, and watched as they rose high above the ground, the couples waiting in line becoming small specks on the ground floor.

“Yeah, me neither…” Sean whispered, then turned to Ella and placed a soft kiss upon her temple.

Suddenly, as the couple watched the buildings around Paris grow blurry and miniscule, Ella and Sean heard the ding! of the elevator and the creak of the doors opening behind them. Ella gasped, swifty twisting around and running onto the second floor of the Eiffel Tower. A deep chuckle reverberated from within Sean’s chest as a chilly breeze pierced at his cheeks; he ran through multiple groups of people and soon arrived at the west elevator with Ella by his side. As soon as they were in, the couple relaxed.

“Almost there!” Ella exclaimed, grinning brightly at Sean. Sean nodded, adrenaline suddenly boiling in his veins as the streets below them grew to a haze and the pillars of the Eiffel Tower zipped past their vision.

“What do you think it’s going to look like up there?” Sean asked, shaking his hands and looking down toward the ground. Nerves coursed through his entire body as he finally noticed how high they were getting, and Sean’s fear of heights were slowly coming back to haunt him.

Ella noticed, then took his hand in her’s comfortingly. “It’s going to look beautiful.” Her voice was faint, almost breathless. Soon enough, the couple were on the top floor.

“Holy meatballs! Look, Sean, look!” Ella motioned toward the large fences caging them in, skipping to the edge. Numerous people looked through and over the fences, their eyes full of excitement. Sean spotted the same expression on Ella’s face once she looked toward the ground.

“What’s the view like over there?” Sean teased, walking behind her and placing his hand on the small of her back.

Ella chuckled then looked back at him, a wild, thrilling expression on her face. “It’s amazing, Sean. So beautiful...”

Sean agreed, looking through the large fence and over the edge. Buildings that seemed to be miles into the sky were suddenly small splotches on the ground floor, barely able to be seen. The crowds of people that surrounded the tower were nothing but small figures behind the caged fences Sean and Ella stood behind, and the thick, towering trees that encompassed the Eiffel were all but tiny dots of red and orange.

The chilly, autumn wind wisped through Ella and Sean’s hair, pieces of brown and blonde strands twisting through the air. Blissful smiles graced both Sean and Ella’s face, their eyes big and wide in admiration.

“We did it,” Sean suddenly whispered.

“We did it,” Ella repeated.


The author's comments:

While writing this essay, I was hoping people would appreciate how in writing, you can imagine anything you want just by reading words off a paper. I wanted my readers to imagine this in their head like a movie, as if they were actually there. I hope I accomplished my goal.