vacation | Teen Ink

vacation

October 17, 2016
By eldiablo7 BRONZE, Branford, Connecticut
eldiablo7 BRONZE, Branford, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The morning felt like a dream. I was woken up by mother, and she stated “Get up.” I didn’t know what she was talking about so I tried to go back to sleep. But then I remembered today was the day that my family and I travel to Martha’s Vineyard. My family and I got in the car and we drove to Woods Hole to take a ferry to Martha’s Vineyard. On the highway I saw the green leaves fall slowly from trees and hit the soft summer ground. My family and I had to stop at a rest stop to go to the bathroom and get some gas. My mom let me get some Bachman Pretzels. When I bit into one I could feel the crunchy flavor flow into my mouth.

Finally, we got to Woods Hole. My mom said it took us two and a half hours to get to Woods Hole. We had to wait in line to get on the ferry and once we got on my dad and I went outside and upstairs and we sat and watched the waves. We played a game seeing how many marine animals we could spot. I won three to two and I saw one dolphin and two jellyfish. We came back down and went to the snack bar. I got a large Pepsi and some Swedish Fish. When I drank some of my Pepsi the bubbles came up and filled up in my nose. All of a sudden the ferry erupted and a sound came out of loudspeakers. The captain said “ We will be docking in 5 minutes, so please return to your cars and stay there until the doors open.’’ The loudspeaker clicked off and my dad and I rushed down to the car where we met my sister and mom.

The doors opened on the ferry and we drove out into Vineyard Haven. We drove over to our favorite restaurant The Black Dog. We ordered and I got a Coca Cola and a sandwich. The crunchy bread melted in my mouth being absorbed together with the lettuce, bacon and tomato. I finished my sandwich and my Coke so I got another Coke and had some of my mom’s chips. After we finished lunch we drove over to our cottage and walked inside. Right when I got inside I ran into my room and claimed the bed next to the window. My sister came in too and she claimed the other bed. This year we had two pullout couches and my aunt and uncle and two cousins named Ryan and Lauren were coming this year, so they were going to sleep in those. 5 minutes later….. I felt the warm water splash against my body as I dove into the pool behind my cottage. The warm water felt like boiling water on a stove. After 20 minutes in the pool my mom asked me if I wanted to go to a beach 5 minutes away from our house. I said to her “ I will get out now and dry off.”

After I dried off I pulled on my American flag bathing suit, and  got on my bike and rode down to the beach. There was no one on the road so I rode in the middle of the road. When I got there I met my friend I met a couple of years ago at the same beach. When my family got there we sat down next to Colin’s family. Colin and I played football and walked down to the lighthouse on the point of the beach. The soft sand was picked up by our feet as walked. When we got to the lighthouse, I climbed up the ladder first and then Colin followed me up. The breeze hit my face like a baseball being hit. After we took a couple of pictures we climbed down and walked back to where our families were sitting. My mom told me that we had to go home so I said goodbye to Colin and I left on my bike and pedaled home. The summer breeze felt good against my face as I rode home to my little cottage in Edgartown where we lived.

My family and I gathered in the backyard like we always did on the first night every year we went to Martha’s Vineyard. We roasted marshmallows and we looked back on the day and all of our years. We laughed about how we got pummeled by the waves and when I threw ice cream at my sister’s face and then how she got me back that night by putting spiders in my bed. We laughed all night long until my mom told us to go to bed. We put out the fire and my sister and I walked into our room. We said goodnight to each other and went to sleep. I knew this vacation would be one to remember.


The author's comments:

hi