I love you | Teen Ink

I love you

By luz0118 BRONZE, Tamuning, Other
luz0118 BRONZE, Tamuning, Other

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take"

I never said this to you before,

until the time I cannot say it anymore

God gave me a lot of time,

until I regret it everytime

I hug and kiss you before I leave the airport

and you mourned and cried in my sleeve

We say "goodbye" to each other,

it doesn't mean I will not see you ever

Seeing you in pain,

makes my heart tear like a rain

But you said "Don't worry, I'll be okay",

so I did not stay

You will be in my heart,

stuck like a dart

The unspoken words that I never got to say,

I love you

I wrote this poem for my Grandmother from Philippines. She passed away 2 years ago because she had stage 4 cancer. The doctor said we couldn't do anything because it was already stage 4 and chemotherapy won't work for her. I felt like that was the most worst scenario i ever had, knowing we couldn't do anything to keep her alive. 

During those days, I had to leave to go to Guam to continue my study. I got no choice because it was my family's decision. Even though i didn't want to leave my grandma, i had to go and leave her. It was very heartbreaking because she was there for me since I was a kid and leaving her behind was so unfair.

I kiss and hug her before I leave and I promised to her that I'm going back once I finished my study. I told her that she needed to be strong, so we can go to her favorite restaurant. She told me to go to Guam and pursue my dreams and enjoy my life, and she's going to be fine. Even though my heart was breaking into pieces, I needed to be strong infront of her and be positive.

Eight months later that year, God took her from us. She's finally happy and no more complains about pains. I didn't get to go back to her funeral because I had a problem with my passport. I didn't get a chance to say how much I love her, but i hope she knows i will always love and remember her.

The lesson I learned from this, don't waste time and tell to my family, friends, or to eveyone how much I love them. I hope everyone will express their feelings before it's too late.