Do You | Teen Ink

Do You

May 20, 2016
By Wildeheart BRONZE, Lehigh Acres, Florida
Wildeheart BRONZE, Lehigh Acres, Florida
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit" - Oscar Wilde


Do you ever look at your friends or acquaintances or just any other people in your age group and they have these great skills and ambitions and you conciously give thanks for having such amazing people in your life but you can't for the life of you, no matter how hard you try, figure out why they would choose to waste their time with someone as insignificant as you?

Do you ever try to have dreams or ambitions, think of something you'd like to do with your life but give up on even a dream because you don't have that drive or talent or ambition? Do you ever wonder if you're being a realist or a cynic? Do you ever think about whether the two are really that distinct?

Do you ever try to do something that'll make you happy but give up because you just can't get your heart in it? Do you ever scold yourself because you can't even enjoy some personal recreation without being a depressing screw-up?

Do you ever hate yourself for looking down on people and hating them simply because they're happier than you? I suppose not, you don't really seem the type to judge or hate. I don't really hate either, I guess disdain is perhaps a better way of expressing how I feel? Regardless, it's a personal hang-up of mine.

Do you ever wrestle over whether or not you've ever truly felt or if everyone else simply overdramatises things?

Do you ever spend hours debating the details of simply messaging a friend to chat?

Do you agonize over how you are perceived by others or over the ethics of attempting to alter that perception?

Do you ever feel that you have no inherent sense of self or that you have no indentity beyond your established role in society or the lives of other people?

Do you ever think about how imminent your death is even though you have many years ahead of you? Are you ever frightened by the concepts of eternity or total nothingness?

Do you ever think the only reason you're alive is that you don't have the will or resolve to kill yourself?

Do you still pine and hound and sit at the beck and call of a former lover who has since moved on and pretend you're anything but a pathetic piece of garbage even though you know better?

Do you lament having built a reputation as antisocial?

Do you look outside to see a beautiful day and wish you had some kind of companion to share it with?

Do you long to love and be loved but are too scared to make an effort to make it happen?

Do you let fear guide you through life like a ghastly puppeteer? Do you tug at Fear's strings as it pulls you away from all the great oppurtunities in your life but never have the strength to break them?

Do you reject the idea that someone could care about you in a meaningful way and invent excuses to devalue some of the rare and genuine kindness that comes your way?

Do you fear your own company? Do you allow your psyche to twist and warp and drive itself mad when unattended?

Do you save conversations and kind words to warm your heart later?

Do you love someone you shouldn't because they can make you happy effortlessly?

Do you hope you'll grow out of your darkness? Do you hope that one day you'll look at yourself and see what all the people that love you see?

Do you feel you'll make a differece in the world?

Do you know you are strong enough to live no matter what?

Do you know you have a calling in life just waiting to be found?

Do you realize you will be happy?

Do you know that people will remember you when you're gone?

Do you realize that you matter?

Do you realize that you are loved?