No Voice | Teen Ink

No Voice

By maxbuchanan SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas
maxbuchanan SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas

Once a time there was a girl named Mari.
Mari had a beautiful voice, the fairest in all the land. Mari lived with her two sisters whose voices were the most disgusting thing you've ever heard. Her stepfather knew of her beauty but forbid her to sing. Years past and Mari lost her voice. Years past and Mari never spoke a word, until one day a traveler came seeking help. Mari quickly came to his aid. The man showed his gratitude, but when Mari attempted to speak nothing but a squeak came out. The man was confused; he asked for her name but once again her words fell short. The men who had been chasing the man had found him and beat him to a near death state. The man's last request was to hear his favorite song sung. Mari tried and tried but could not find her voice. The man passed away without hearing his song. From that day on Mari would sing if it was the last thing she did. For years she practiced until a travel was looking for his father… She sung the song that the man requested to the boy, and the boy cried because of the beauty of her voice.