Innocent One

Oh hidden one,
I know you are there.
I don’t shun.
You are beneath the labels,
Shallow stereotypes,
Sorry we can’t turn the tables.
You are beneath the fear of your kind
Beneath the ruthless prejudice,
How could people be so blind?

Oh faithful one,
My hope deep inside me,
Burning like the midnight sun
Has hope for you. 

Oh innocent one
People envision you as vile,
Afraid to think something else.
But I envision you as a child.

kingfisher316 said...
Hey! I figured that I'd return the favor. You have an excellent sense of rythmn and a clear mastery of conveying a deep sense of meaning,which is difficult when using a rhyme scheme. Excellent job! I wish you well on your path to becoming a writer!

KMG28 replied...
Jul. 28, 2016 at 11:40 am
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment. Tell me, did the movie Alice through the Looking Glass inspire you to write Down the Rabbit Hole: a Case Study? I am just curious. :)

kingfisher316 replied...
I actually wrote it before the movie came out. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to see it yet. I came up with the first stanza, but I didn't know where to go with it. There was a deck of cards on the table while I was contemplating this, which kind of sparked the Alice in Wonderland theme. But it was definitely a change of pace from writing prose. Do you naturally write with a rhyme scheme? I find that I have some trouble with free verse

KMG28 replied...
It differs from time to time. Here's what usually happens: I get inspired by something like an emotion and then the words to a poem come to my mind. They do not have to rhyme, as long as they have a tone. Here is my advice, imagine a slam poet performing it. How would it be acted out? Listen to some slam poetry, to get inspired but make sure you are writing from that original voice in your head. When you do, don’t think about how other people may perceive it, it’s just you and the poem. Fre... (more »)