Unconditional Love | Teen Ink

Unconditional Love

By lO_oveJay GOLD, Rock Hill, South Carolina
lO_oveJay GOLD, Rock Hill, South Carolina

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.

The warmth of a body lying beside you in the depth of night cannot be matched by any amount of heat that man can invent. The beating of another heart, the sound of another's breath, the texture of another's skin can only be defined by one word. Comfort. The soothing relief of your child's heartbeat against your own cannot be competed against. The small 'o' shaped mouth only learning to breathe. The soft new skin against your own work skin feels so calming. The toothless smile that brightens your day, the glowing eyes that stare into yours daring you to adore them the way that they adore you, the tears that are shed in your absence, the clutch of a small, fat hand around your finger, the beautiful face that resembles your own in so many ways that it's uncanny, the birth of the piece of you is what happiness means. After seeing the tiny person that was delivered through you, you know you cannot ever be angry at the small piece of heaven that God has given you. And now you know what love really feels like.

This writing is about the night my baby came home and how it felt to know that I had brought this piece of perfection into the world. How it felt for me to be loved no matter what. How it felt for me to experience unconditional love.