Shade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Rock star,
drug addict,
or geriatric on the rebound from cataract surgery,
she said,
are the only legitimate personas for sunglass-wearing.

But what about style and flirtation and Jackie O?

What about beaches
and tan lines
and ocean-stained copies of Time?

What about adolescence
and wrinkled hot dogs
and the velvety shores of Jersey?

Do you have an opinion on the grammatically stunted drugstore novel
or the vulgarity of toe rings?

What of that sapphire swimsuit that’s missing three jewels
and chapped lips
and that obscene practice permissible only after achieving a stupefied state of tourism (long after fanny packs and card decks) known as bike-renting?

Seriously, Mother, what do you make of chuckling quietly at women
whose shrunken, upturned noses can’t support their aviators,
or that psychedelic rainbow emitted by misshapen lenses,
rivaled only by oil leaks in the parking lots of supermarkets?

Nonsense. UV rays are fictionalized by the same people
who invented evolution and
global warming
and NASA.

No daughter of mine shall subscribe to that mongering,
that hullabaloo.
You’ll just have to squint.

But when she turned, I shaded my rusty eyes anyway,
if for no other reason than to shield myself for a little while against that blinding
light source
called humanity.

once_upon_a_nightmare said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 11:47 am
This was really amazing... good job! Very vivid metaphorical sarcasm.

silentvocal replied...
exactly. i love the way the mother is. and i would have to say the last verse had topped it with perfection. this is worded with sarcasm wonderfully. i like. :D

ebony_and_irony said...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 1:07 am
Love the biting sarcasm in this. I know how you feel.

Siphor said...
Ah. I love the metaphors and messages you have here- they're wonderfully interwoven without being blatantly obvious. Your wording is great and the ending wrapped everything up nicely.

LunaWingsFlyAway said...
i added this one to my favorties....it made me smile....i can pictuyre everything ur saying....i totally dig it...

kristinn1229 said...
I can picture everything your talking about in my mind.  This piece is amazing!  Defintley one i'll be adding to favorites.  

J-blotting-ink This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 10:31 am
This is really a fantastic piece. Everything is well done. I'm extremely impressed.

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
great flow of consciousness, totally dig where youre coming from... read some of mine?

MelanieLouise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:31 am
love this. i can picture the conversation and the thoughts that flow through your mind. great great work :) keep writing, Mel (:

AbneyT said...

Okay, okay I love this poem and all,

but I do not get thiss one part!

UV rays are a fact, and you say they are fictionalized by the same people who believe in evolution, global warming, and nasa. But but, Nasa is a fact, and Global Warming is a fact. But Evolution is a theoryyy. Which makes no sense to me!!

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
if I am correct, the author has these comments/stanzas coming from the perspective of the mother, which is to add another layer to her character in this poem... just my thoughts though...

Wackykoala19 replied...

Its kind of like science against religion. Some people think that global warming is just stupid. They think that "God" will save us. They think evolution is unrealistic and that we were made humans from the beginning. by God. Also, they believe that NASA is an unnecessary, unethical organization created by people to gain profit and nothing else. 

I guess the author is saying that the mother thinks like that too.

xovanillatwilightxo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this! Very creative great job I think alot of people can relate. Mothers, pssh. =]

ChelzH said...
this is really great! you are very creative, good job!!

antoniutc said...
WOW. I JUST HAD A LITERARY ORGASM!!

Wackykoala19 replied...
. . .I just had a disturbing metal image!

IndigoE said...
love the adjectives you used and the amount of them! the last line ties it together perfectly too.

-daydreamer- said...
This is amazing! I love everthing, from the title to the last line!

Ashee97 said...
whoa, you used a lot of big words in this! that makes it more effictive...but i dont really get it. its nothing against you, jusy my lack of knowledge to understand things. but i do love it and judging by the other comments its a great poem! keep up the excellent work! :)

AndTheVinesSpin said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 6:29 am
hah, mothers.

MessyJessie said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 6:28 am

wow. wow. woah.

i loveeee thisss!