my writing | Teen Ink

my writing

By evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Immediately when I enter his room, the aroma of febreeze fills your nose.  The febreeze covers up the smell of unwashed clothes, and smelly shoes.  Yet, there is still an unfamiliar stench lurking around in the air.  I peek around the room to see what causes the smell, and I then realize that there is a subtle noise that fills my ears. There was only one light on in the room at the moment, except for the sun, and there are tiny little creatures swimming around.  The little fish chase each other, and fight for food, like a kid fights his siblings over something they want.  I peer behind the fish tank and see that it blocks the window, and lets little light shine through it.  I take a step further into the room and open the door up all the way, and flip on the light switch.  Only half the room is illuminated with the lamps, and the other half is only lit by the little sunlight that shines in through the windows.  On the floor, there is a little mess, which had not been cleaned up from the night before.  Empty chocolate milks, and protein bar wrappers lay on the floor, waiting to be cleaned up.  Just as I thought the mess was over, the clothes that appear to have been recently worn, also lay on the floor waiting to be put into his laundry hamper in the other corner of the room.   I get beyond the tiny mess from the day before, and walk over to the fish tank.  It looks to me as one of the most perfect fish tanks in the world.  Not a speck of algae, or leftover food lay in the tank.
On another wall, it is empty and a lifeless.  A small window lets in just enough sunlight to see the color of the wall, a light grey green hue.  On both sides, there are small closets overflowing with items from years gone by.  Papers fill the shelves, and in the gaps there are old ratty jerseys and shoes.  I try to peer through the papers to see what lies behind them.  I see only a few items with the little light that seeps into the closet.  Toys from childhood fill up the back portion of the closet and pour out of the boxes. Legos are at the back of the closet in boxes, which are filled to the brim.  Some magnificent masterpieces lay in the back, which look to have taken an uncountable amount of hours to build. 
I see another wall of diminished light, which shows my reflection in the bureau mirror. Yankees and Giants memorabilia fill the space, which leaves no room for one to lay their items down.  Filling the empty gaps lay pictures of all different smiling faces.  Some people that can be assumed as family, and others that are clearly friends.  In the other empty crevices of the bureau are an uncountable number of trophies.  Multiple different types of sports are named on the trophies: baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, swim team, and sailing. 
On the fourth and final wall, there is an unmade bed, a desk, and a nightstand.  In the bed, are newly washed sheets, blankets and pillows.  Also, lay the papers from the desk that have been blown over by the fan that rests on it.  The desk is filled up with papers, so much that you can barely tell the color of it. Papers, pencils, erasers and pens fill up the desk, like dirt fills the ground.  In the empty spaces there are food wrappers from the night before.  Phone chargers, headphone chargers, computer charges, and a fan plug that fills the electrical outlet near the desk. 
I peer around the room and see if there is anything else left.  There seems to be nothing, so I flip off the light, close the door, and try to shut it.  Instantly, the door blows back open, and I realize, that I have to pull harder.  I give it another tug, and I hear it click, and I stroll away.

I wrote this for Language Arts.