black, white and grey | Teen Ink

black, white and grey

1The images of war upheld my body
For it is which that took my walk
3I stood there in the silence
As I was being mocked

5A black feather fell from the tree
That landed beside the mocking bird
I walked over to the child starring back at me
8And asked if he had herd

I could see what the boy could not
10A smile reached from side to side
I saw the real judgment and mockery
But the boy could not see me cry

13I asked him how he did it
Managed to lift his feet off the floor
And fight the urge and the pain
To spread his wings and soar

17The old child did not reply but stared
At the colorful bird which sings
19And I heard it calling to me
To fly you do not need wings

Literal interpretation of poem
1A Crippled man who has been hardened by war, stands alone on a silent street. 4The man gets a cold feeling, which he first experienced in war, that somebody is watching him. 5The man turns to see a small child standing next to a tree, with a black bird in it. 7The man angrily struggles to walk over to the child and 8asks him why he is so rude to mock a crippled man. 9The man notices that the child is blind. The young boy does not reply but only smiles back because he has a new friend to talk to. 11The man is startled by the boy’s reaction and he realizes that he was the one to judge the boy wrongly.12The man starts to softly cry but the blind child does not see him. 13The man asks the child how, at such a young age, he is able to gather up so much courage to smile after all that he has lost.17The wise child does not reply again but simple stares at the tree. The man looks over to see that the bird he previously saw was actually a very colorful bird and there is no longer a silence. 19the man hears the bird softly whisper to him, to fly you do not need wings.