Ode to my Gorilla | Teen Ink

Ode to my Gorilla

June 4, 2015
By Briyana GOLD, Braintree, Massachusetts
Briyana GOLD, Braintree, Massachusetts
11 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stop being a negative nacy.


A second choice pulled from a generous speech teacher’s Easter surprise
Greeted with a pink face, a black smile
Meeting a friend at the time you don’t know would become so dear; important; cherished.
From there our life began.
A name to be given, like a queen deeming someone “sir knight”
She is now Ms. YumYum
Quickly the urge to be near her emerges and becomes unbearable.
Not as an itch but an upcoming smile one cannot hope to fight off.
Staying up late, partaking in our favorite stories again and again- we conquer each page
Gorillas make great dragons.
Adventures in and out of reality, dreams the same but opinions different.
Were the years fun for you too?
The dinge of a once vibrant pink, the maturing of my body; the only proof that we are older
And I wonder, like *Andy, will the time come when I will have to give you up?
Your familiar fuzzy face and soft black fur no longer welcomed on my bed.
Your removal due to society’s demands and not mine or simply the final death of childhood.
As I gaze at your face I push those thoughts away, you are a memory, a time machine, a brief intermission to turn around or just freeze if only for a little bit.
And perhaps, there lies the moral of this tale.
Once in a while it’s okay to take a little break from the ever coming years --to just hit pause.
And as I release you from the quick hug of your cotton filled body I have allowed myself while preying eyes are away, life resumes.


The author's comments:

In my english class we read "Ode to my Socks" and my assignment was to write an ode to something sentimental to me. I chose my stuffed animal which I have had for over eight years. I really love her and decided to post our story together up. Hope you guys like it.