Climbing Up the Great Wall | Teen Ink

Climbing Up the Great Wall

By RyanT BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
RyanT BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

I gazed up into the distance. Mountains and hills dominated the green luscious landscape. Colossal trees and large bushes hugged one of the most important landmarks in the world: The Great Wall of China.  I could see the wall stretching out for miles into the distance like it was a staircase to heaven. The brown worn-out appearance of the cracked bricks conveyed the history it held. I quickly scurried up the unstable steps along with the hoard of tourists shoving their way up the stairs. As I got onto the wall, tourists were scattered across the platform taking photos. Instead of taking pictures right then and there, I decided to climb to the highest point of the wall. So I began steadily go up the stairs in the hot humid air. With the blaring sun high up shining its blazing rays all over my back, it only made things worse. Not even a single slight breeze could be sensed. But I stayed determined and continued onward until I reached the top. There lied a plain ordinary building but the scenery was astounding. From the top, there laid deep green valleys separated only by paper-thin hills rolled out across the land. The other end of the wall can be seen again extending for miles straight up into mountains. Vegetation can be seen slowly crawling up the sides of the walls filling in the gaps the unevenly paved bricks created. But with the blaring sun beating me down with its blinding rays, I began to finally head back down.