The meth that killed me | Teen Ink

The meth that killed me

By Zyken BRONZE, Ingleside, Texas
Zyken BRONZE, Ingleside, Texas

"It is better to be pissed off, than pissed on." - Doris Kay Coulter

She did it for the rush

She needed to get away

Her brain turning to mush

Her hair was already grey

She was only seventeen

And tore the family apart

She was treated like a queen

Why couldent she be smart

Its time to say good-bye

As she lays in her death bed

Others try to deny

Life of a meth head

This poem shows the life of a girl who is seventeen and thinks she is invencible but when she goes down the wrong path she ends up paying for it. 

Zyken BRONZE said...
on May. 8 2018 at 1:20 am
Zyken BRONZE, Ingleside, Texas

To answer your second question, the purpose of the title was to symbolize that even though "she" wasn't the only one who suffered from her actions.

Zyken BRONZE said...
on May. 8 2018 at 1:16 am
Zyken BRONZE, Ingleside, Texas

Hi Taylor, Thank you for commenting and sorry for the late response, lol. To answer your first question referring to "Why couldn't she be smart?", I was talking about why couldn't be smart enough to realize that there is someone who cares about them and that they where not alone. In todays world people do drugs to replace the love they can no longer feel.

on May. 22 2015 at 11:56 am
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I have one more critique: Your title says "The Meth That Killed ME" but your poem is speaking in third person... If there is some strategy behind this, please explain. Otherwise, it's very inconsistent and may cause confusion with the reader.

on May. 22 2015 at 11:55 am
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I love the ironic use of a patterned rhyme scheme in such a morose topic. Additionally, thank you for writing about this and trying to get a better grip of what's going on. The only line I disagree with is, "Why couldn't she be smart?" If you're referring to school/book-smart, I disagree strongly because there are many top-performing students who turn to drugs to solve their stress issues. If you're referring to common-sense-smart, then I agree because it is unmoral and pointless to do drugs. Again, I thank you for writing about such a hard topic.