Ellie Wisel | Teen Ink

Ellie Wisel

May 20, 2015
By Ashley Lancaster BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
Ashley Lancaster BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I first saw Elie Wiesel and his family when we were on a train on our way to germany. I was sitting next to a window.  As we got on the train there was a woman who seemed to have lost her mind she shouted “fire,fire! everyone tried their best to calm her down.I looked at her son on the ground next to her crying on her lap. The men put something in her mouth and tied her down.People in the train envyd my spot on the train I had some fresh air and had an idea of what it was like outside. After two days of traveling without water and in a hot box of people everything became unbearable. The next time the doors opened again and most of us saw a glimpse of outside again there was a german officer.
“From this moment,you come under the authority of the German army” the man kept talking but I couldn't think I was gonna be apart of the german army. This got me extremely  angry because they just dragged us from our homes and now they w  wanted us to fight with them. To be on there side of the war. The man came across with a basket. Husbands were holding their wives in their arms as she was forced to take off her wedding ring and just throw it away. More time passed and they told us the camp's name was Auschwitz. People asked around if anyone had heard of it and no one had. We were all in a train full of people we had never met before and nobody knew where we were going or what was going to happen. I looked at a bunch of people during the train ride there was only one group of people that I knew or ever seen it was ellie and his family. The first person i noticed was Ellie's father, Shlomo at the grocery store owned by their family had owned i wonder what would have happened to there store.

  The items that we had brought along with us in the train assured that we could have keeped them were left behind in the train. It had just been me and my dad on the train my mom had perished before the war. For others when we got off the train families were separated. Ellie had been in front of me with his family holding tight to each other. The germans pulled the men away.People around us failed to stay on there feet a man fell to the ground and brought me to the ground with him. Immediately there were dogs barking and men screaming at us to get up. I looked around to try to find something familiar my father had been pushed along and there was nobody i knew around. I was alone. I found myself in a room confused and dizzy. A prisoner grabbed my wrist making me focus.
“how old are you” she said as if she said it a million times before
“18” I replied 
The whole surrounding was loud and uncomfortable. People were crying screaming and cursing. They cut my hair off, and gave us new close,my shirt was too big and same with my pant I was silent. They assigned us jobs based on our previous occupation. Crematory. I had no idea what that was. We got to our “rooms” it was terrible swarms of people in small spaces but them smell was unbearable. I knew what the smoke was from

                  


The next few were strange being in bunks with people you didn't know and being told when to eat and drink, the food was disgusting but I was still thankful because there were people that had it worse.  They marked our arms with numbers and thats who you were now no name just a number. Being feed once a day was the only thing that you could look forward to in a day. I saw ellie one day walking out of the warehouse with blood leaking from his shirt. Some spots were even cut through he had been wiped a lot. On Sunday there were bombs by the americans that with every hit we cheered because there was a chance that we might have been freed from this awful place. Bombs fell on the blocks next to us. But nobody was afraid to die anymore. Ellie had been wiped for reasons he could not tell anyone or he would be wiped more. That would be awful. But then everything was awful.


We were moved to buna,things were bad here people were sick and more people died I stayed out of the way of the people trying not to get sick I wanted to survive I had plans for when I left. Ellie's father had grown ill then he passed as time went by ellie kept himself together fighting to live . I found myself sick and being so weak that I was unable to move or speak. The one person I admired was elie wiesel for his courage and how he could keep going after the worst would happen.