Okauchee Lake | Teen Ink

Okauchee Lake

By Zoichy43 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Zoichy43 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

My treasure of Waukesha County is my grandma’s house on Okauchee Lake.  When I think of this place, I see waves of deep blue crashing against the shore.  Walking closer, I see a blue background behind my grandma’s house.  I smell the lake and it brings back old memories every time.  Hearing about times the family was out on the boat and it started pouring rain.  Watching the sky turn from bright blue to pitch black at the heart of the storm.  Trying to dock the boat not being able to see two feet in front of you.

I grew up here, fishing, boating, wakeboarding, swimming, and tubing.  From going to the annual 4th of July cookout to just stopping over to enjoy the weather on the lake you can always find me there.  It like my home away from home even though it’s only 5 minutes down the road.  One of the reasons I love it so much is because there is always good food that my grandma is trying to shove down my throat. 

Our annual 4th of July cookout is one of my favorite times of the year.  Its not even hard waking up early to attend the Stone Bank Parade before the lake.  I treasure driving our fourwheeler all around town and then cruising around after the festivities have settled.  After the parade, my family goes over to the lake for the cookout and relaxing boat rides around the lake.  And finally ending the day off by going out on the lake and joining a herd of boats to watch the fireworks.