Treasure of Waukesha County, WI | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha County, WI

By Bradson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bradson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

If there be any place in Wisconsin, or rather, in northeastern Waukesha County, then there is the Village of Sussex.
This hub of social morale touches that low burning-flame inside all of us--one of fantasy and mystery.
As you enter on Highway VV, you have the pleasure of looking right and seeing Ausblick Ski Hill, which, you can see its snow-machines pump snow all over this giant, like grading a fine cheese over a foreign dish.
Past Kohl’s, the four-way intersection, and Pick n’ Save, the closer you head to Sussex Bowl.
If there be any bowling alley in Wisconsin--or Waukesha--Sussex Bowl would take gold.
This family-friendly place, with over fifteen lanes, a shiny arcade, and a Banquet Hall, gives more to the customer than paid for--a sense of fun that sparks bets and victory dances with each bowled-strike.
Past Sussex Bowl, across an outlet mall, over a hill, under a stoplight, and then to your left, where, the best part of Sussex lives.
Such a breathing place could only be known as: Pauline Haass Public Library.
Lined with book-filled shelves, this reader’s paradise gives the meaning of, library. Stories of all kinds gild the walls, those staying warm to read them on dark nights.
Yes, this is a perfect village, with its rolling plains of melting snow, with its nooks and crannies so hidden that only a child would explore, and with its aura, a glow of fantasy and mystery, gilding such small-town beauty as this village so encompasses.