Treasure of Waukesha County, WI | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha County, WI

January 15, 2015
By Bradson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bradson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If there be any place in Wisconsin, or rather, in northeastern Waukesha County, then there is the Village of Sussex.
This hub of social morale touches that low burning-flame inside all of us--one of fantasy and mystery.
As you enter on Highway VV, you have the pleasure of looking right and seeing Ausblick Ski Hill, which, you can see its snow-machines pump snow all over this giant, like grading a fine cheese over a foreign dish.
Past Kohl’s, the four-way intersection, and Pick n’ Save, the closer you head to Sussex Bowl.
If there be any bowling alley in Wisconsin--or Waukesha--Sussex Bowl would take gold.
This family-friendly place, with over fifteen lanes, a shiny arcade, and a Banquet Hall, gives more to the customer than paid for--a sense of fun that sparks bets and victory dances with each bowled-strike.
Past Sussex Bowl, across an outlet mall, over a hill, under a stoplight, and then to your left, where, the best part of Sussex lives.
Such a breathing place could only be known as: Pauline Haass Public Library.
Lined with book-filled shelves, this reader’s paradise gives the meaning of, library. Stories of all kinds gild the walls, those staying warm to read them on dark nights.
Yes, this is a perfect village, with its rolling plains of melting snow, with its nooks and crannies so hidden that only a child would explore, and with its aura, a glow of fantasy and mystery, gilding such small-town beauty as this village so encompasses.