The Most Wonderful Time of the Year | Teen Ink

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

January 7, 2009
By Anonymous

CHRISTMAS.
Oh Christmas, my holly jolly Christmas, so colorful and decorative, yet clean and simple.
Thick with the sweet scent of pine, an aroma only characterized as sheer bliss.
Let it snow, let it tumble down from the heavens. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.
Family and friends come togeather through joyous circumstances; celebrating the birth of our savior, celebrating life in itself.
Sipping hot cocoa by the fire, hypnotized by blinking lights, a tree draped with strategically placed candy canes and ornaments.
The angel is placed on her watchtower, the very top of the illuminated tree, another year of tradition continues.
The hustle and bustle christmas brings only adds to the anticipation.
Hands are pressed togeather in excitment.
Childrens stomachs flip as their stockings are hung carefully above the fireplace, Santa will fill it to the brim with goodies.
Christmas Eve is a time of appreciation and wondernment, What surprises do tomorrow hold?
Night comes and every child is wired, their eyes wide, their ears searching for the sing song jingle of Santa's sleigh.
Did you remember to set out the milk and cookies?
Morning approaches slower than usual and families tumble downstairs to see what Saint Nick has brought them.
The display leaves me breathless.
Faces brighten with warm smiles as generous gifts are exchanged, its an honor to be thought of on such an important and selfless occasion.
Families are reunited and unrequited joy is spread far and wide...If only for a day.
I can't wait until next year.
CHRISTMAS.

The author's comments:
I LOVE CHRISTMAS and strongly believe, or rather hope, that no matter how materialistic and shallow our society becomes christmas will never lose it's meaning; the birth of Jesus, the Christian religions Lord and Savior. Whether you are a religious person or not that's simply what it IS. It is a day of appreciation, faith and gratitude and should be spent with your loved ones.