The Mirror on the Wall | Teen Ink

The Mirror on the Wall

By Wickedgirl95 SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
Wickedgirl95 SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

We may not talk everyday, we may not live next door, but true friends are there they are the ones that think of you and care how you are doing.

The mirror on the wall
Although it seemed, at first, just a thing
It has now changed us all

At first we didn’t care
About the little blessing on the wall
We barley even noticed
All the good times it let us share

We didn’t notice it smiling back at us
We didn’t care that it showed us we were one
We didn’t even see that it laughed along with us
All we saw was a thing

After several years the mirror gave up
When it broke, we broke
For what seemed like seven years

We then began to realized
What we had not seen
Soon we began to miss
The mirror on the wall

Now we know, so now we care
We try not to let a day go by
Without thinking about our
Mirror on the wall

Dear mom,

In this poem, the mirror symbolizes the idea of family. As you remember, we have had a little family issue over the past few years, which is what this poem relates to. The mirror, being the idea of family, because it is always shining, reflecting who we are, sharing our laughter and our tears, etc, represents, at the beginning, that we didn't really understand how important it really was. That is until it broke. When a mirror breaks, it is said that you will receive seven years of bad luck, that seems to have happened to us, when our issue occured, that was when the mirror broke. When the 'mirror' broke, we began to realize how important it was, even though we may not have noticed before. I love you!

Love,

Abby

on Aug. 16 2009 at 4:36 am
charlietheunicorn SILVER, Sandy, Utah

"Dont follow in my footseps.....I run into walls."

Your a great writer it was an awesome poem!

on Aug. 16 2009 at 2:07 am
MeghanMichelle GOLD, Hooksett, New Hampshire
Great poem! I love how the mirror symbolizes your family instead of just talking about your family straight out.

d said...
on Feb. 1 2009 at 12:42 am
abby that was awsume you are great!

PawPaw said...
Abby, I love your poem - you dit it again!!!! I am so proud of you. I must admit though their is a mystry in this poem that is I'm sure your Mom understands, but I can only guess. I think that you wanted to write it that way and that may be exactly why you are such an excellent writer.

angeldemon said...
oh my god, abby, i love it! its deep, and i read it in class, and pestered you for the background information, and i still love it!!! keep writing, and lets see if you can spread some of that publishing luck to me! haha, lol, love you, abs!! you're the best! have a great weekend!

Toby said...
Very good poem - after I read your note to your mom, I reread it. I don't know exactly what the "mirror" represents, I have my suspicions, and I think you did an excellent idea putting your thoughts into words.