Poetry Without Limits | Teen Ink

Poetry Without Limits

By gallowsRenegade SILVER, Vancouver, Washington
gallowsRenegade SILVER, Vancouver, Washington

In the poetry field, one may hear: “It should to be like this”, “Check it three times”, and “This is what he meant”. What these examples spill is critics, teachers, and writers trying to grab poetry by the horns. However, they should know that is false thinking.

Poetry is intricate and constantly changing. This mainly comes from the inspiration of the writer. One may write about blue curtains and get different viewpoints from people. One may think the curtains are sad and another may conclude the curtains represent a vast ocean. And another will say the curtains are simply blue, as in color. As shown, people have different opinions of the curtains, so a set answer is impossible. Poetry is meant to be a free flowing form of literature.

What some people try to do is judge and rate how good the poem is. But you can’t rate the poem the same reason why you can’t give the blue curtains a set meaning: perception. You can say a poem was bad or good, but that is set to you alone. One may hate it while another will pay you money. You cannot define poetry at all.

Finally, there's the fine line of “This is how its suppose to be”. While it is important to follow rules to write certain types of poetry, its also important to not have uncreative poetry. Poetry that is extremely restrained reads well, but is not compelling to the reader. When you write poetry, put your heart into it.Those rules are guidelines and nothing more.

So, let the scribble or click of your work get on the paper or screen. Do not let other’s invisible standards weigh down your heart’s work, for it is you and you alone to judge its worth.