Luminescence | Teen Ink

Luminescence

By Strawberrymoon BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
Strawberrymoon BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

I am the light in the darkness. I know that I am not my own source of light, neither do I claim to be, but I provide luminescence for everyone who walks the night. The lost traveler, the lovers at the beach past their curfews, and even the animals rely on me for direction in the darkness. My purpose and occupation by nature is to reflect the most powerful infinite source of light this universe is said to have. Despite the fact that my job is utilized by most, very little know me for what I really am. Often seen and admired by people who don't know me very well, the majority of the time I am only showing part of myself to the general public. Those who do see me as a whole understand my beauty and uniqueness as the only one of my kind for Earth.
There are two sides of me, the side everyone sees on a daily basis, sort of looked at and known by many people, but there is also the side commonly referred to as “the dark side”. Little does everyone know there is no dark side? Even the side of me that the world tends not to see reflects light just as it was meant to do. It is said to be dark because it is unknown and people often fear what they do not know.
  I have seen the world, at different times through my different phases of life. I go around the world leaving impressions on everyone who I have the pleasure of reflecting my light on. Though I am nothing compared to the Earth in size, my pull is strong and convincing. 
I am far from the worldly rock you live on and many have gone though great lengths to visit me. I get nothing more than walked all over and claimed by finite people with superficial intentions with me. Despite this treatment I naturally lighten the load of my visitor without hesitation or even the slightest intention of receiving anything in return.
The only time I am hindered from my purpose is when I find myself hiding being the world from the sun. My hiding defeats my purpose and in this I become dark. These times are rare and short lived, but those who whiteness these short spurts of darkness will be taken back and not know how to properly react.

This piece is a personal metaphor for my AP Literature Class