Train Rides | Teen Ink

Train Rides

August 18, 2014
By insertidentity BRONZE, Perth, Other
insertidentity BRONZE, Perth, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Give me therapy I'm a walking travesty.


Train rides.

The shadow was everywhere,
she is inconspicuous
She is of abstract.
tethered to the darkness.
Trapped in the dead of the night.
She saw within grey.
She moved within light.

As I sat I noticed the back of the train was dusty,
the fluorescent lights dancing,
Unnecessarily projecting light to squished bugs.
Crushed ambitions.

I sat alone, next to a seat with dirtied newspapers and stained seat cushions.
I felt trepidatious.
Nervous around all these unknown people.
Rather, the lack of them.
Constantly fearing ringing silence.

I fiddled with the sleeve of my sweatshirt as I collapsed into my uncomfortable looking seat.
Trying to distract myself from peoples curious stares.
However boredom overcame me,
and, as I glances up I was met with a pair of confounding, prepossessing brown eyes.
By far the most remarkable eyes I have ever seen.
The colour resembled dark, soft chocolate shade, with flakes of golden highlights.
Those very eyes stared right at me, looking fixedly into mine.

I felt insecure under his gaze, but willed myself to observe the rest of his features.
He had a tanned complexion that contrasted his dark brown hair.
His cheekbones were sharp and remarkably prominent.
There was no doubt this adolescent aged boy was incredibly good looking.
So, what was he doing looking at me? Why not the beautiful people around me?

The whole train ride I felt his eyes gazing holes into the side of my head.
I did my best to ignore his stare but felt compelled to sneak a few glances when I had the chance.

He was very interesting, not many things fascinate me, especially not people.
As soon as I looked into his eyes I wanted to write a book about them, then I heard him talk and I wanted to write a song for him.
I wanted to walk over and sit next to him; to have a conversation. But I realised we were merely strangers that knew very little about each other.
What could I’ve said ?“Excuse me, but I think I may’ve fallen in love with your eyes.”
It seemed like a poor misuse of time.
And I certainly didn’t want to waste his.

However at the end of the line, the fluorescent light flickered and a large amount of the carriages travellers disembarked off of the train. I wanted so badly to give him one last look, but, the bustling of human population crowded every opportunity I had to have one last glance.

We boarded the carriage of the train as strangers and we left as strangers also. It was a customary routine for me; but, never have I ever seen someone so interesting. And this sense of finality I got as I left the station dawned on me, that I would probably never see this astounding stranger again.
Or them brown eyes.