Purple Midnight

I’ve always been told, that staring isn’t polite.
But does it matter if you are staring at the sky?
Do the rules of etiquette still count then?
Maybe it’s not considered staring if you are wishing at the exact same time you are looking.

I don’t do the whole cloud thing.
Saying, “That one looks like a duck or horse or a flower.”
I don’t enjoy pretending that condensed vapor particles suspended in the atmosphere look like a car. It just doesn’t suit me, ‘cause you can’t wish the clouds were something they aren’t.

I much prefer lying on my back in the dazzling grass, staring up at the purple midnight sky.
Wishing to be composed of nothing, so that I could float away into the abyss, of the stars and the moon.
Wouldn’t it be nice to be nothing?

I’ve always been told that staring isn’t polite.
Do they still apply to the staring of purple midnight stars?

Crissy said...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 11:32 am
I'v always wondered the same thing. I always stare at the sky. It's too wonderful not to. I love your poem. It has excellent points.

Milo! said...
I really love this. I really like how everyone can relate to this. I hope you keep writing, because this is great. You should check out some of my stuff. I think you would like it.

kathreneforyou said...
this hit home. great job in perfectly transforming dreams into words :)

PurpleMidnight said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 8:06 am
Woah. this is amazing! I was drawn to it by your title "Purple Midnight." You should never, ever stop writing.

Jennaaa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The questions posed in this poem really make you think... and I love that. I was drawn to read this poem by its title "Purple Midnight". It's a beautiful image :)

carolines This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:45 am
love it!!! i have to say, you bring out a point i had never thought of--staring. your poetry really makes someone think. GREAT WORK!!!

SaraB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17, 2009 at 12:43 am
This is one of my favorites, especially the "I've always been told that staring isn't polite" line. Thank you so much for all the nice comments, it just makes my day when I get a new one from someone. I can honestly say I love all of your work.

His-Bright-Green-Eyes... said...
This is a very good poem. Very well written. Great!! AHMAZZZZINGGG!!

ym said...
Jan. 8, 2009 at 3:49 am
Love the poem, it reminds me of a pleasant summer evening, laying on the fresh green grass.

Your office aid pal13 said...
Jan. 6, 2009 at 12:51 am
Nice i cant believe you got in not saying it's not good I'm just baffled but i mean it's not surprising i knew you would get in but errr maybe i should stop talking like now