Come Back

I had been hurt

Then we decided to become friends

You had helped me through my pain

Although we thought each other to be enemies

We talked more

I began to anticipate the times when we saw each other

We were not close

Then you began to act more interested

I returned some of the interest

But suddenly you pulled away

Talked to me no longer

Once more I was hurt

Yet you did nothing

Each passing day of the same treatment buried me deeper into my sorrow

Each day the dream of you ever speaking to me growing further away

Each time I am in your presence feel ignored

I dare not look into your eyes

For fear that I would be left with a scar on my heart

Yet I decided it was not my duty to fix

If this was the way it was going to be

In my anguish and pain

I shed more tears

Then brushed them away

Swallowed my hurt

Buried it further

And continued on my way

But I do not think I’ll be able to do anymore

I do not believe I will be able to continue on

If you never talk to me again

If you continue to shun me

If you decide our friendship was to be short

For this burden I can bear no longer

The only way to lift it,

I ask of you…

Please come back to me

Kelsey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 1, 2009 at 2:46 am
i didnt really like it. it was a lil plain almost like it could be written in a paragrace amd give the same feel. i like the meaning behind it though

PK4evr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It was more of a poem to someone, like I was speaking to him, and not to a reader. Just saying. BTW I am Natalie although it doesn't credit to my screenname. I don't know why.

M&M4ever said...
Sept. 1, 2009 at 1:14 am
i think it was beautiful

Grace B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like how its free verse.though you should tweak it more and make it more lyrical.

iluvfruitbasket3 said...
good poem i like it

KiraKira said...
Hmmm...I was having a bit of trouble of understanding the flow of the poem. Perhaps if you want you could look at some of the wording in a couple of the lines?

Torunn S. said...
It could be a lot more lyrical if you tried smoothing out the meter, matching up certain lines a little bit more, and that would help excuse the moaningish quality.

Hm, I guess that you have a point, but these are more thoughts and words I wanted to say to this particular person, not lyrical or whatever, and it was more stylistic to this poem than my other ones. I appreciate the idea though. Thanks for commenting! -Natalie (PK4evr, this poem doesn't credit to my screenname)

project827 said...
Jun. 21, 2009 at 2:33 am
kinda dry in my opinion. There is much pizazz or anything to it, and the subject isn't all that exciting either. I'm not trying to be mean, i'm just being honest. This is all just my opinion too.

Haha, yeah, I understand... this is the author, this poem doesn't credit to my screenname, PK4evr, for some reason. I don't know why. There really wasn't supposed to be pizzaz in this poem, it was more of some things I wanted to say to this particular person and not very good in quality or anything. Thoughts are disconnected anyway- that's why it doesn't really flow. That's just my view on my own work, of course. But thanks for commenting anyway. -Natalie

jbrooks2363 said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 2:07 am
I get this, but then again it really doesn't seem like...poetry to me. i agree with Fangz, it seems more like prose.

I still don't know the difference between poetry and prose... care to explain? It would really help me. Thanks! -Natalie

Swimgirl said...
I can totally relate to this! great job!

Angel L. said...
I think you should tweak it so its more metaphorical :)

When I was thinking about what I wanted to say to this person, which was why I wrote it, that wasn't exactly what I was thinking of. Some of my other poems are a little more metaphorical. This one is not. This one is stylistically different, which is why I particularly chose it. (I'm the author, for some reason, this poem doesn't credit to my screenname.) Anyway, I hope that people will respect that I allowed this poem to be different for a reason, but I really do appreciate the c... (more »)

Bethani said...
I've had a hard situation with an ex but it was mostly my fault--not his. It was my first real relationship too. Idk any better. We're still friends though.

Fangz said...
I don't really know what to say about this one... Its sad, but it seems more like prose than poetry. There weren't any spelling, grammar, or usage errors, which is good, but you describe a common event in a common way. Anyway, keep writing. Practice makes progress. (I know, I'm a pessimist X-P)

Thanks. This is the author, the poem doesn't credit to my screenname for some reason, and I don't know why... anyway, I guess that's true, but this was more of a poem meant to be speaking to the person than telling other people. It's kind of a stylistic thing, and I hope that you respect that. I don't see it as one of my best ones, probably just the one that is the most stylistically diverse. Thanks for your comment! -Natalie

hbwriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
agreed, TheAuthor.
There was someone else on Teen Ink RAW wondering about why people choose to hate instead of love, I think he may have been from Allen, TX too.
Why are there so many of you from there on here? Did you have a school project involving Teen Ink, or are you all just a bunch of friends who decided to work on teen ink?
congrats on the poem!

Oh, yeah, that was me. haha. I don't remember what it was though. I just posted my stuff because I wanted it published. But since it's not getting published, I'm probably not going to post anything anymore unless my poetry/short stories/excerpts get published. Thanks for your comment! -PK4evr