Sunrise. | Teen Ink

Sunrise.

By insertidentity BRONZE, Perth, Other
insertidentity BRONZE, Perth, Other

Give me therapy I'm a walking travesty.

Soft, hollow steps tread to the unadorned window. Climbing out of the frame the boy is relieved; he made it in time!
Gathering a scratchy blanket he places the itchy material on a crevice of the timber roof, tiptoeing along the metal, he is cautious not to make a sound.
He lays down against the itchy, scratchy material, the texture feeling like sharp blades pricking his shivering skin.
Though uncomfortable, this is what the boy lives for. The sunrise.

The sky is scattered with flecks of golden stars and constellations and the boy mentally points out the big dipper and various other stellar arrangements.
Eager to watch the transformation from the hazy blue and hued grey sky, to a soft delicate, yellow glow and subdued orange shade.

Shivering, the boy tightens his grip on his uncomfortable blanket. Though he is wearing three pairs of socks and his dad’s old skiing jumper he can still feel the chilly nip of the August air. His favourite month for sky gazing is October when the colours of the sky are magical-not quite as sombre and serious as July but not as intense and radiant as December either.

Watching, the boy notices the sky beginning to unfold into his favourite stage of the morning. Some of the stars are hidden due to the subdued glow of the rising sun, but the sky is still a soft blue, contrasting with every shade of the warm colours that are now materialising.

This routine is customary to the boy; setting his alarm clock minutes before dawn and waking up with lingering excitement as to how the sun display will look today.
He’s been doing it for years. Ever since his parents started fighting. They wouldn’t notice his absence anyway. Longing for friendship and understanding within mother nature, he only wished to feel tranquil. And whilst he watched his first sun rise up into the morning sky, he promised himself he would never miss this natural spectacle again.

Every display he watched he felt different emotions, sometimes the sky works left him feeling demoralised and dejected, the sun soaking up every charismatic feeling he had and leaving him with a broken sensation. Other days the sun infected him with a calm tranquility and blissful optimism.

There are fewer stars now, the boy is feeling warmer and a serene feeling is radiating through him. The sun is large and beguiling, sparkling with an unexplainable glow.
He’s filled with energy and as the boy stares out into the sky full of possibilities he’s only hoping one day he will be able to share his exquisite obsession with another soul that appreciates sunrises as much as him.

“See you tomorrow - same time, same place…” the boy whispers to the setting sun “…And maybe, just maybe one of those infinite possibilities will come true”