Doors | Teen Ink

Doors

Hundreds of doors stand closed before me. In my hands I hold the key to them all.

I open each door and stare off into the ether. I see ships crashing through waves, birds soaring through the sky.

I see wizards battling fire demons and elves laughing at dwarves. I see swords of eldritch power flash in the sun.

I see mountains that reach the sky, trees that hold eons of knowledge, rivers that have traveled the world.

I see soldiers charging into battle, families sitting by the fire, with snow falling outside the window.

I step back and ponder which door to go through. I choose one and open the cover.

Once I am done with this adventure, I will open another book and begin anew.

I was bored on afternoon and decided to read a book. Most of the books I own I have read twice or more. As I was looking at the titles I began thinking out loud. "Do I want to travel with Bilbo or follow Drizzt through the Underdark?" "Do I want to watch Robinson Crusoe struggle to survive or follow the adventures of a group of kids in Venice?" The it struck me that I could write a poem about this. Sort of like opening doors to see what is on the othe side. Anyway, thats where I got the idea for this poem.